Job interviews, should I mention my Asperger's?

Hi, I have a job interview next week, and I don't know whether to mention that I have Aspergers or not, would you? it's not something I like to mention but I feel I should mention it because I don't want any misunderstandings between myself and the staff,  as with my last job, which I recently got sacked from because of my  "erratic " behavior and " attitude". I never told them about my Asperger's when I started working there.

Parents
  • Even though it's against the law for employers to discriminate, some still do anyway. I would say wait until you get the job and then let them know, the if you are a good worker they have no reason to dismiss you. Just try and appear confident, and good luck!

• I think you still have to be careful, because they can always say that you knew about this at interview and didn't disclose it.  I actually got my diagnosis when I was in a job.  I went to my line manager and told her I'd just got it (I'd only been there a couple of months) and she said 'Why didn't you say that you'd gone for a diagnosis when we interviewed you?'  I told some story about how I'd not expected to get the diagnosis, so forgot about it.  She was okay with it - but it made me feel bad because technically I'd misled her.

Here's some info from the NAS:

Disclosing your autism diagnosis at work

It’s often hard to understand the benefits and drawbacks of disclosing at work or when applying for work.

You may be thinking about whether your employer and colleagues will understand and react to your disclosure in a positive way.

The benefits of disclosing:

• Employers are legally obliged to support you and make reasonable adjustments.
    • There may be better understanding from your colleagues and manager.
    • You won’t have to try and hide that you are autistic.

The risks of disclosing:

• You may be met with a lack of understanding and adjustments.
    • You may be worried about prejudice from your employer.
    • You may find it more difficult to fit in with your colleagues.

How to decide what to do

To help you decide, try drawing up a list of benefits and drawbacks, ask a friend, colleague or adviser to help. List your strengths and potential difficulties. Identify what adjustments could be made and discuss these with your employer, you could also let them know what you do and don’t want your colleagues to know.

...and you might find this useful:

Top 5 Tips for Disclosing your Diagnosis to Employers

• I think you still have to be careful, because they can always say that you knew about this at interview and didn't disclose it.  I actually got my diagnosis when I was in a job.  I went to my line manager and told her I'd just got it (I'd only been there a couple of months) and she said 'Why didn't you say that you'd gone for a diagnosis when we interviewed you?'  I told some story about how I'd not expected to get the diagnosis, so forgot about it.  She was okay with it - but it made me feel bad because technically I'd misled her.

Here's some info from the NAS:

Disclosing your autism diagnosis at work

It’s often hard to understand the benefits and drawbacks of disclosing at work or when applying for work.

You may be thinking about whether your employer and colleagues will understand and react to your disclosure in a positive way.

The benefits of disclosing:

• Employers are legally obliged to support you and make reasonable adjustments.
    • There may be better understanding from your colleagues and manager.
    • You won’t have to try and hide that you are autistic.

The risks of disclosing:

• You may be met with a lack of understanding and adjustments.
    • You may be worried about prejudice from your employer.
    • You may find it more difficult to fit in with your colleagues.

How to decide what to do

To help you decide, try drawing up a list of benefits and drawbacks, ask a friend, colleague or adviser to help. List your strengths and potential difficulties. Identify what adjustments could be made and discuss these with your employer, you could also let them know what you do and don’t want your colleagues to know.

...and you might find this useful:

Top 5 Tips for Disclosing your Diagnosis to Employers

Children
  • Yeah, that's definitely a drawback. I've experienced it myself. I didn't even get the job interview because I put my disabilities on the application form and I got denied a job. I knew someone who applied for the same job 10 times and on the tenth time he didn't disclose it he got the job.