What do you all think?

Hi Everyone, I really would value and appreciate your opinions on something. Please bear with me while I explain.

So, disappointed at the lack of AS/ASD social groups in my town (1 group once a month on a day I can’t do, town population nearly 130,000) I decided to create a Facebook account solely to join AS/ASD groups on Facebook to connect with other people with AS/ASD. This is good BUT does not solve the problem of me wanting to connect with other people in my local area with AS/ASD with a view to potential social meet ups. So, what I would really like to do is start a Facebook group for people in my local area with AS/ASD. But I do wonder if I’m jumping the gun a bit as I was only diagnosed in December myself and I feel like I need at least one ‘partner in crime’ to run  an online group with but I have no clue where to find such a person/people. Basically I’m a bit scared of just starting up a group on my own based on only a very recent diagnosis. What do you all think?

Parents
  • I think it is such an important and healthy thing for people on the spectrum to talk, communicate, and spend face to face time with each other. I work with Autistic Adults, so I get to spend lots of time with people on the spectrum and I feel very privaliged in my position. I wouldn’t let your worry of only being diagnosed recently put you off setting something up on your own, because ‘you’ have been ‘you’ all your life, regardless of your diagnosis. Best of luck!

• Thank you. I think I shall try it out

Reply Children
  • Thank you Sunflower. I’ve managed to cover my beaver scout group on the first Wednesday of next month so that I can actually attend the monthly Aspergers social group in my area, so I might mention that I’m starting a Facebook group and if anyone seems particularly interested then I might ask if they’d like to help. I’ll keep you all updated with how it goes 

• This sounds such a wonderful idea . I am sure that if you go ahead and publicise it in your area people who would like to help will contact you. I love what @Vans316 says - it's true - we have been autistic all our lives! You will be very good at facilitating a group as your contributions on this forum are always so helpful. Look forward to hearing how it goes.