What type of craft/making do you like?

Hi all,

I was inspired by a thread yesterday about knitting, to start a craft or making thread to see what people on here like to craft or make. I like to bead/make jewellery, the type I make is sewn out of seed beads, into a variety of patterns. Included are some photos of my latest piece, a necklace which took 12 hours! Please feel free to share your craft/hobby and a picture of your latest/favourite make if you wish.

Parents
  • I build large model boats. I built a Liberty Ship before Christmas and I'm a few days into my latest model, a WW2 British Destroyer.

• That looks like it took a lot of time and skill! How long have you been building them for? What made you get into building them?

• I did them as a child - but was limited in funds back then so never had the boats I wanted.

I got back into them about 10 years ago. I get the models from people who buy them, read the instructions and get frightened by the complexity, put them in the loft for a couple of years and then finally stick them on ebay.

There's a lot of work and thousands of parts to make - all from sheet materials and strips of wood & styrene - and the glue is a bit heady.

I build them, play with them (to get good photos) and then sell them on - which pays for the next one with a little profit.

What you see there is 4 days work. I'm very efficient (typical AS trait) as lots of people would take months or years to get to this stage.

Pictures - I reduce down until they are about 1000 pixels on the longest side - no point being any bigger to display on a web page. The file size will depend on the colours and detail of the image.

• Thank you.

I enjoy the challenge of solving the problems to get them built to a good standard for the least money. (I have huge guilt issues with spending money frivolously).

• I think your boats are really good. You must get a massive sense of satisfaction when you complete one, especially as you build them so quickly. Also, it’s nice to have something aesthetic to do away from the mundaneness of life 

• I think your boats are really good. You must get a massive sense of satisfaction when you complete one, especially as you build them so quickly. Also, it’s nice to have something aesthetic to do away from the mundaneness of life 

Children