Need advice on creating a Soft Bedroom

Hello

I am a Family Support worker. I am working with a young autistic boy as respite. I have decided to help the family create a safe room for him as he hurts himself on walls when distressed. We have raised some money on gofundme and that is continuing link below may help understand what we are trying to do. Has anyone got any advice on how to create a safe/soft bed for him on a budget? He can only fit a single bed and possible some how create an enclosed small space for him any advice would be welcome. 

[Link removed by Moderator]

• Hi NAS50640,

Just wanted to let you know that I have had to remove the gofundme link as the page it links to contains personal details (please see rule 2 of the Community Rules).  

You may like to contact our Autism Helpline team who can provide you with information and advice . You can contact the team via telephone on 0808 800 4104 (Monday to Thursday 10am to 4pm, Friday 9am to 3pm). Please note that the Helpline is experiencing a high volume of calls and it may take a couple of attempts before you get through to speak to an advisor. Alternatively, should you prefer to send a message, you can do so via their webform:

https://www.autism.org.uk/services/helplines/main/questions.aspx

I hope that helps.

Regards,

Kerri-Mod

• Hi, that’s really great what you’re doing. I clicked on looking for any tips for myself, to be honest. I’m not a kid, I’m 51, but I’m realising how important environment is to me. 

For me, lighting is very important, it creates the mood and also soft calming music. I also like light, soft pastel colours and soft toys and cushions. I’m very particular about touch but at the same time, I love to touch things. 

So thinking about it now, I’m getting a better idea of how I can create a soft room for myself. I had never really thought about this before, so thank you. 

I would like my room to shut out as much outside noise as possible as well and have no gaps in the door etc. 

A simple bedframe could be somehow covered in some kind of foam. You can get foam delivered, cut to measure, then get a seamstress to cover it. 

I would like having pictures that make me smile, as well, not too many. 

I’ll have a look at the go fund me page. Not sure I’ve been of any help to you, but you have certainly been of help to me, thank you. I’m going to be on the look out for soft toys etc that I like to touch, and I’m going to be thinking more about my sensory needs as I’m redecorating my house. It’l make a big difference to me and I live by myself, so why not make it according to my needs?!? Blush It will probably end up more like Alice in wonderland, but why not :)