The human race is doomed (thank goodness!)

Fighting and killing each other over differences of religious belief - sometimes over the same God, or a different interpretation of same holy scripture.

Fighting and killing each other over differences of political belief - or over the same political belief.

Fighting and killing each other over differences of skin colour, culture, sexuality, gender, nationality.

6 men owning more wealth between them than the 4,000,000,000 poorest people on earth.

Countries starving whilst rich individuals send a sports car into space, or spend £5,000,000 on a wedding party, or £100,000,000 on another yacht.

Obsessions with trivia, nonsense, junk - including gross stupidity like this...

Birdbox Challenge Warnings Issued

I say blindfold them and line them up on cliff edges, or beside busy highways.

With apologies to Craig Raine...

A Martian Sends Another Postcard Home

Sonys are electronic flightless birds
and most are treasured for their call

they cause the eyes to distract
and the brain to soften

I have only seen them fly when dead -
mostly they perch on the hand
or beside the head.

Humans shout at them and poke them.
They do it all the time.

It's the only thing they do.

They'll be a pushover.

Bring on the alien invasion.  Obliterate us.

Happy 2019.

Parents
  • Fighting and killing each other over differences

We evolved as a tribal species.  People (as a whole) like being in tribes, and they are often more than happy to be led down the path of "we must destroy the tribe over there who are <insert reason here> for the prosperity and longevity of our tribe."  Sad but true.  Don't expect to sign me up for that sort of thing though!

6 men owning more wealth between them than the 4,000,000,000 poorest people on earth.

Well, is it real wealth though?  How much of that is really just bit patterns in computer memories, and how much of that is actually down to tangible assets/commodities of intrinsic value?

Countries starving whilst rich individuals send a sports car into space, or spend £5,000,000 on a wedding party, or £100,000,000 on another yacht.

Again, that seems to be an "as a whole" people thing - if they have perceived wealth, they like to show off about it.  Again, beyond a certain point, don't expect me to doing that sort of thing.  Even if I did have that sort of wealth (I don't) all you'd see is the tip of the iceberg.  The rest would be being used to do things I perceive to be generally useful, most of it anonymously.

Obsessions with trivia, nonsense, junk

And you don't collect or value certain things - tangible or otherwise?

They have almost destroyed the planet

Not true.  I think you'll find the planet will quite likely still be around long after the human race is done and dusted.  Especially if we keep going down the path we currently are.

most of the animal species mainly for financial gain or pleasure

I don't know about most, but certainly many.  But it's not just animal species.  Also other types of life are at risk, plus there's the profligate use of natural resources without thinking about how those things are going to be conserved, recycled and what the impacts of using them necessarily are.

Just because people have lots of money, doesn't mean they are free. Most 'rich' people are forced to live in guilded cages where they cannot venture out into the real world.

Yes - this.

I would suggest there are millions of complely happy, satisfied people living in freedom with very little money.

And this.

• Fighting and killing each other over differences

We evolved as a tribal species.  People (as a whole) like being in tribes, and they are often more than happy to be led down the path of "we must destroy the tribe over there who are <insert reason here> for the prosperity and longevity of our tribe."  Sad but true.  Don't expect to sign me up for that sort of thing though!

Well, is it real wealth though?  How much of that is really just bit patterns in computer memories, and how much of that is actually down to tangible assets/commodities of intrinsic value?

Again, that seems to be an "as a whole" people thing - if they have perceived wealth, they like to show off about it.  Again, beyond a certain point, don't expect me to doing that sort of thing.  Even if I did have that sort of wealth (I don't) all you'd see is the tip of the iceberg.  The rest would be being used to do things I perceive to be generally useful, most of it anonymously.

Obsessions with trivia, nonsense, junk

And you don't collect or value certain things - tangible or otherwise?

They have almost destroyed the planet

Not true.  I think you'll find the planet will quite likely still be around long after the human race is done and dusted.  Especially if we keep going down the path we currently are.

most of the animal species mainly for financial gain or pleasure

I don't know about most, but certainly many.  But it's not just animal species.  Also other types of life are at risk, plus there's the profligate use of natural resources without thinking about how those things are going to be conserved, recycled and what the impacts of using them necessarily are.

Just because people have lots of money, doesn't mean they are free. Most 'rich' people are forced to live in guilded cages where they cannot venture out into the real world.

Yes - this.

I would suggest there are millions of complely happy, satisfied people living in freedom with very little money.

And this.

Children
No Data