This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

HELP WITH PROJECT

Hi, 

I am doing a project at school on understanding autism and I am currently doing my research and thought that using a forum would be a good source of information as I can get ideas from different perspectives and opinions. 

So, I would be extremely grateful if anyone could respond with experiences they may have of people who have Autism or Asperger's syndrome, and how you interact with them, any difficulties you face with interacting with them and how you overcome this and any other information that you think would be relevant. 

Also, if you are on the spectrum and are willing to give any information about how you view your own diagnosis and things that you want people to know about autism please let me know. 

Thank you in advance

Anna 

• Hi Anna,

You may like to have a look at our website as there's lots of information there and there are quite a few real stories which may help you with your project.  For examples, here: https://www.autism.org.uk/about/adult-life/stories.aspx and https://www.autism.org.uk/get-involved/donate/christmas/real-stories.aspx

Sunflower is correct in pointing out Community Rule 8 and so I will be locking this thread.

Good luck with your project.

Regards,

Kerri-Mod

• No problem one of the (many) reasons I did not have any friends as a teenager was that if there was a  sign saying 'Do Not Walk on the Grass' I would tell off my friends if they did walk on it.  I am a bit the same at work now - I am the person who points out Health and Safety rules have been breached. Does not go down well with some colleagues and managers! 

• Hi sunflower, 

Thank you for highlighting my mistake to me I should have been more cautious in looking at the guidelines. 

I did try and remove my post but I'm not sure it has worked. 

• I appreciate your honesty. One of my autistic traits is having difficulty when rules are not adhered to (there's some data for you Anna!). NAS manage this forum and have decided research requests need to be routed through them. I was just alerting Anna to this fact. I don't think this is unreasonable. All Anna needs to do is to get her request approved, then we can answer her questions.

When students start to do research understanding ethics and approval processes is a key part of their learning. Usually If I see a message like this I put a longer, more encouraging reply but it's been a long day and I'm tired. The rules that apply in this online community are designed to keep everyone safe. It is a paternalistic set up, but every forum has its disadvantages. I am not sure how NAS commercial interests are relevant though. 

• So i'm going to be really honest here sunflower, i voted that post down because i feel that in order to foster understanding and acceptance we need to be open to such requests and have  sufficient means of sharing whom we are as a cohort to people such as this.

Annas whole understanding of ASD may be tainted by blindly following NAS protecting their commercial interests, rather than being able to have a conversation about who we are as humans, i would much prefer if anna was able to see us in a real light not this fake BS that NAS orchestrates.