Fireworks

It is, unfortunately, that time of the year when fireworks become an increasing menace to many people and animals.

I have submitted 14 separate occurrences of fireworks to Firework Abatement UK (https://fireworkabatement.wordpress.com/fireworkslog/) since I found the website in April and I encourage people to submit their own reports to the site. The organisation seems to be doing a decent job of trying to improve the regulation of fireworks and submitting data will help the cause. Perhaps one day will be be rid of the fireworks menace.

You may also wish to support the RSPCA's firework campaign calling for an urgent review of firework regulations:
https://www.rspca.org.uk/getinvolved/campaign/fireworks

Parents
  • I still like fireworks. Yes, there are a number of idiots who insist on setting them off inappropriately, but I enjoy the big displays.

I don't do home fireworks since a mortar launcher blew up on the ground about 10 years ago and I've got a burn about the size of my hand on my neck/chest where the flare hit me and stuck to the flesh while still burning. It rolled down the inside of my top before burning a chunk from the skin on my stomach.

That was quite painful...

• That's a terrible experience to have had Plastic. It must have been excruciatingly painful. I can see why you prefer the big displays. My son would only watch fireworks from the car after a tin trunk of fireworks blew up at a home event.

Two chemistry teachers were in charge - they left the trunk open and a spark got in, they managed to close the lid just before it went BOOM!!! There was a massive bulge in the trunk where one of the big fireworks exploded. Someone could easily have been killed.

• Yep - it stung like bi***. They were talking about skin grafts but, as I'm on loads of steroids, it had healed too much to do the grafts

Eventually healed up ok but there's a huge scar.

After that, I took the safe route and volunteered every year for setting up the company fireworks event. We set up all the bbq and catering and the sound system and then the spooky graveyard at the entrance. I stay away from the actual fireworks now...

• Yep - it stung like bi***. They were talking about skin grafts but, as I'm on loads of steroids, it had healed too much to do the grafts

Eventually healed up ok but there's a huge scar.

After that, I took the safe route and volunteered every year for setting up the company fireworks event. We set up all the bbq and catering and the sound system and then the spooky graveyard at the entrance. I stay away from the actual fireworks now...

Children
No Data