Machines and engines

I've always loved machines and engines. 

I like a bit of nostalgia too. 

Here's a 1962 Twin Tub in action - I spent many happy hours in the company of a machine just like this as a child! 

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Mvs1aJ7ES60

Have you got a favourite machine or engine? 

• If so, please share it! 
Parents
  • I can't believe it took me this long to nominate: vintage Singer sewing machines. Wonderful things, properly built and will go on forever if you look after them. I inherited another one this weekend and spent a few happy hours on Sunday giving her an overhaul. She'd been in a shed for years but cleaned and correctly oiled up, she runs as sweet as you like now :-)

My everyday machine is a 1940 201K (best model they ever made), hand cranked, and I love it to bits. I would have 100 different ones if I had the space.

• You're right moggy - what an oversight! My mum had a Jones sewing machine but I've always loved Singers. Saw some being used in Kenya at an enterprise project for disabled women. The 201k has lots of fans: 

https://sewalot.com/singer_201k_sewalot.htm

• They do indeed. Proof that they didn't change much over the years - the 1951 version pictured in the article you posted is pretty much identical to my 1940 model! 

I have never been a huge fan of electric machines, as they tend to run away too fast for me. The hand crank (or a treadle) is much more controllable. If you look underneath one, it looks like a miniature Victorian beam engine!

• My pictures won’t upload so here’s my post without the aquamarine coloured machine included,,,

This is my sewing machine ( if the picture uploads) it’s an alpha, not had it long, would have preferred a singer one to be honest, but it looks like it has never been used since 1940 when it was first made, has just about every attachment going, works lovely even in my hands, 

a fairly recent acquisition as I found it difficult finding specific clothes I liked that fitted my look. My intentions are to learn and make my own garments, 

I recently had the chance of an old singer complete with cupboard and fold out platform, it had every attachment and every receipt from new to when the motor was added. It still had the flat metal pedal that powered it inside, I had no where for it to go so passed on it, big regrets now,

As a young boy I would enjoy watching my mum and sister make many items, you name it they made it.

I was often used as the tailors dummy...and buttons,,,oh my hours soent sorting and playing with them, a massive box at my grans  house, 

i have started my own collection, and just about everything needed to start sewing my style.

The start of all this was when trying to find waist costs with lapels!

victorian style, there are none, modern versions but they just don’t sit right, so take a very cheap jacket, remove arms, cut just below the two main pockets, ok lots more than just that but there are very cheap jackets to be had.

• My pictures won’t upload so here’s my post without the aquamarine coloured machine included,,,

This is my sewing machine ( if the picture uploads) it’s an alpha, not had it long, would have preferred a singer one to be honest, but it looks like it has never been used since 1940 when it was first made, has just about every attachment going, works lovely even in my hands, 

a fairly recent acquisition as I found it difficult finding specific clothes I liked that fitted my look. My intentions are to learn and make my own garments, 

I recently had the chance of an old singer complete with cupboard and fold out platform, it had every attachment and every receipt from new to when the motor was added. It still had the flat metal pedal that powered it inside, I had no where for it to go so passed on it, big regrets now,

As a young boy I would enjoy watching my mum and sister make many items, you name it they made it.

I was often used as the tailors dummy...and buttons,,,oh my hours soent sorting and playing with them, a massive box at my grans  house, 

i have started my own collection, and just about everything needed to start sewing my style.

The start of all this was when trying to find waist costs with lapels!

victorian style, there are none, modern versions but they just don’t sit right, so take a very cheap jacket, remove arms, cut just below the two main pockets, ok lots more than just that but there are very cheap jackets to be had.

Children
No Data