Motorcycling

Purely out of curiosity, how many Bikers do we have in here?

Feel free to reply listing what your current/most recent steed is/was

• I love bikes... but don't have one any more.

My first bike, at 17, was a Suzuki GT 185 (1976).  When I think of the chances I took on that machine, I'm lucky to still be here!

Next bike was a Honda CB 250 - the American-styled one with the bulbous tank and big, chunky seat.  Loved that bike.  Only got rid of it because I passed my driving test and bought a car instead.

There was a 30-year gap until I got my next bike (mid-life crisis?!!)  It was a black Honda CBF 600.  Not a superbike, but quick enough.  I loved that, too - but over the years, I found I'd lost my nerve a bit with bikes.  Terrified of using it in the wet.

I'd still have it now if it hadn't been for one little incident.  It was due for MOT - and on the day, the rear tyre was flat.  I checked it out and could see no evidence of nails.  So I wheeled it down to the garage and left it.  When I went back, they said the problem had been a perished valve.  The valves naturally bend with the centrifugal force when you're riding.  They said this one had been flexed to its limits and had finally snapped.  The guy said 'You were lucky it didn't happen out on the motorway.  You'd have had an instant flat, gone out of control, and who knows...'

That was all I needed to hear.  I put it up for sale the next day!  Soon sold with a 12-month ticket.

Here's my video ad when I put her up for sale...

Honda CBF 600

I still have a hankering for a bike.  But I don't think I'd have the nerve for it now.

• I've even converted my other half to the joy or 2 wheels

I've done the same with my wife who now uses her CBR125R to commute to work (about a 30mile round trip) in pretty much all weathers at the moment and she hasn't even complained at coming home looking like a drowned rat! lol

• Hi NAS38192,

In my experience, the majority of people who start riding relatively young, seem to head for sports bikes first and then migrate through to tourers/cruisers (I still maintain that I'm too young for a Harley! lol).  Personally, I started the other way round.  My first proper bike was an old Yamaha XJ600F (later was replaced by the Diversion).  I then tried several other bikes but migrated to owning a sports-tourer - Triumph SprintST1050 (a truly lovely bike with all day comfort and lovely handling that would really annoy the typical sports bike rider simply because I would corner quicker than they would).  Change of life circumstances then let me to a cruiser (Kawasaki EN500) that I originally acquired for a bottle of JD as a wedding present for the wife (10 years later and she still hasn't passed her test!).  I've always liked the idea of a Kawasaki ZX-9R Ninja which I finally convinced the wife to let me buy 5 years ago (apparently I was leaving too many spark trails when cornering on the cruiser - still have it in the garage though).

I love my Ninja.  For some reason, she and I just fit.  Okay, my modern standards she is now old and fat (for a sports bike) being 23 years old and 203KG.  That said, being older, the pillion seat is a proper seat - cushioned and everything - and, despite the clip-on bars, there isn't too much weight on the wrists (not like a friend's R1 that I rode back to Eastbourne from Newbury a few years back).  I have literally done Eastbourne to Lancaster and back again in a night on the Ninja without any aches, pains or stiffness.

When looking for a new bike, the best advice I can give is go to the trade shows (Motorcycle Live, London Motorcycle Show etc) where you can get an opportunity to sit on just about every new/current model of bike on the market - just see what fits.

My wife used to dream of a GSXR600 - until she sat on one.  For some reason, the geometry was just wrong for her and, as soon as she sat on it with her hands on the bars and feet on the pegs, she got an instant back ache.

Another option would be to visit, or even join, a local bike group (e.g. your local IAM Roadsmart Motorcycle Group).

As a new rider, the only other bit of advice I would offer would be to go get some more training.  One way to look at it is that having passed your DSA test (theory, mod1 & mod2) you have just passed your GCSE in riding a motorcycle.  You will, in all likelihood, find yourself becoming a very reactive rider - you react to that car pulling out on you, you react to that child running into the street etc).  Schemes like the Enhanced Rider Scheme and Bike Safe could be considered your A-Levels and completing your IAM Advanced Motorcycle Test would be your undergraduate degree, at the end of which, you will be a lot more pro-active on the road (e.g. there is a car approaching that junction from the left, so I'll move my position slightly in case he pulls out, or there is an adult pushing a pushchair but it is empty, where is the child? Ah, there he is playing with a ball so I'll slow down and take a wider line in case he runs into the road after it etc).

At the end of the day though, it is all your choice and the most important aspect is to enjoy your riding whilst keeping it shiny side up.  So, vision up, throttle open and stay safe.

MRT502

• Moto Roma MRX 125 2005 road legal 

• New biker here. Passed my CBT August last year, rode an MT-125 for the next 10 months, then passed my test July this year. Now on a CBR650F. Just started because I can't stand driving or getting the bus to work. Didn't realise how much it gets under your skin. Now I'd call it a serious hobby. When I found out I was autistic I became more confident on the bike, for some reason. I felt more entitled, less of an interloper. It suits my personality. I live near a main road and love hearing the bikes go by and identifying them from their engine sound. The jap inline fours are my favourite, I'd love a GSXR750. But for the sake of practicality (and my back) the next one will probably be a tourer, maybe something like a DL-1000.

• mine is a 900cc online 4.  She revs forever and anything above 6000rpm really is like watching the USS Enterprise go to Warp lol

• I think the more modern monsters are abit smoother than the s4, lightweight hydraulic aptc clutch helps it a lot but there is a fine art to riding it smoothly it doesn't like low speeds in the wrong gear to lumpy but I find that more engaging  I have ridden a few 4cylinder bikes mainly 600's and agree they certainly outrev any twin but I have a prefrence for low down grunt over balls out revving. I have heard bigger 4 cylinders have both grunt and warp speed in high revs to much for me lol

• I rode one of the first Ducati's to have modern fuel injection - the Monster S4 - and it was snatchy as anything.  Almost impossible to ride round town.  Whilst I like the sound of the v-twins, the buzz you get from a revvy online 4 is something else imo

• I was more of a car man until I hit 24 and purchased a rather cheap ktm 450 exec supermoto passed my test and never looked back! currently have a ducati monster 696 in my opinion nothing matches the sound of an air cooled l twin  

• Definitely biker here too. I've even converted my other half to the joy or 2 wheels and he's much the same, can't part him from his bike

• I think that it is either in your blood, or it isn't.  There are those who use bikes purely as a means of transport (bike riders) and then there are those for whom it is simply a way of life (Bikers).  I fall firmly in the latter category, and it sound like you do too

• Lady biker here, had bikes since 17 and still love them more than anything. A succession of Beemers, 250LC with a Stan Stephens stage 2 tune, now have the BMW I've owned since 18 (and done 115k miles on) and a gorgeous old Harley. The Beemer is nearly on the road again after a well-earned full rebuild (yes, I like tinkering with them too)

It rather surprised me when the psychologist who diagnosed me said many autistic people are alarmed by the sudden noise from bikes, due to sensory issues. I am the opposite - when surrounded by the chaos and din of Central London, the sound of a bike engine is the sound of sanity .... one of the few things I can relate too and instantly makes me more comfortable!

• Lady biker here, had bikes since 17 and still love them more than anything. A succession of Beemers, 250LC with a Stan Stephens stage 2 tune, now have the BMW I've owned since 18 (and done 115k miles on) and a gorgeous old Harley. The Beemer is nearly on the road again after a well-earned full rebuild (yes, I like tinkering with them too)

It rather surprised me when the psychologist who diagnosed me said many autistic people are alarmed by the sudden noise from bikes, due to sensory issues. I am the opposite - when surrounded by the chaos and din of Central London, the sound of a bike engine is the sound of sanity .... one of the few things I can relate too and instantly makes me more comfortable!

• Like it.

I keep toying with the idea of some off-road trail riding.  I used to green lane with an old 1963 88" Series 2a Landrover - and loved it.

I think my passion on 2 wheels will always be "progressive" road riding but who knows what the future holds

• 2007 Aprilia RX 80 smoker. Revs to the moon, and vibrates like earthquakes.

Obsessive compulsive trail riding disorder.

• 25 year old makes them Vintage, so i guess. 

• I paid £950 for my ZX-9R 5 years ago...  She's a little tired round the edges, but then she is an old girl now (23 years).  That said, she still shifts and is as willing and eager as always

• mmmm yes, i was looking to spend next year about 7 to 9k

• £12000 for a VN1700 £13000 for a rocket if only lol

• When i was young, bikes were at most £295.00, now their a little more than my pension can afford, although the Triumph Explorer is in budget, some like those you'r listed are too much, but excellent choices. keep riding.