Jazz Hands

Did you see the news story last week about the students union that wanted to ban clapping because it might cause distress to sensitive souls like myself. It was the cause of much hilarity on various topical comedy shows. But I thought it was a thoughtful and well-meaning attempt to be a bit more inclusive and maybe a hopeful sign for the future.

Parents
  • Like Trainspotter I don't like continual clapping - I realise that it's a sign of appreciation but after a moment or so start wishing it would stop! I'm not sure about banning it though. If I'm in a situation where a round of applause is likely, I'm usually aware of that in advance - it's rare that I'm taken by surprise by clapping. So it doesn't bother me that much as I can prepare myself. (Also, I find "jazz hands" quite sinister - it would be weird being in a roomful of people doing that, albeit quieter!) 

• Like Trainspotter I don't like continual clapping - I realise that it's a sign of appreciation but after a moment or so start wishing it would stop! I'm not sure about banning it though. If I'm in a situation where a round of applause is likely, I'm usually aware of that in advance - it's rare that I'm taken by surprise by clapping. So it doesn't bother me that much as I can prepare myself. (Also, I find "jazz hands" quite sinister - it would be weird being in a roomful of people doing that, albeit quieter!) 

Children
No Data