Childrens television programmes of the past

Being born in the fifties, and having my formative years in the sixties and seventies, I believe some of the best television programmes were those made for children. I am a great fan of programmes made for children, and even now think there is some quality work there.But some of the programmes of rhe past excelled in real quality.

For starting this thread I will include one or two of my favourites from the sixties to the eighties.

I will come back to this later with others, I think my avatar would indicate one of my favourites so that goes without saying, for the moment.

The Owl service, a programme made in the late sixties, a mystery about a tea service and the remote.locarion it was set in.

Follyfoot, with its theme tune about a farm for retired horses, the characer of Dora every lad in my year fell in love with

Children of the Stones, a very creepy tale set in Avebury, with similarities to the Wicker Man

The Witches and the Grinnygog, a tale of a gargoyle with a seemingly strange power.

Worzel Gummidge, with Jon Pertwee and Una Stubbs at their best.

Others to come, but opening up to reminiscences from other people.

• Perhaps it will accept Richard Van Sea-Wall.

How can an actor of such highly acclaimed films such as Mary Poppins and Chitty Chitty Bang Bang get censored by the NAS or forum software.  The thought never struck me about his name being worthy of the language police!

• This forum does not like *** Van ***!   Smiley

• During the early 1960's, many programmes from America were shown during the children's programming slot, although not really children's programmes

There were Westerns such as Tales of Wells Fargo, The Lone Ranger, and Bronco.  And comedies such as  The *** Van *** Show, Hogans Heroes, and my favourite The Adventures of Hiram Holliday which was a sort of parody of James Bond in some sort of way. 

Hiram Holliday:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FIS2tVeXJ8w

(the advertisments may be a bit annoying)

• Secret Squirrel and Squiddly Diddly always had their cartoon shows one after the other. As a small child I had the bright idea that they could both appear in the same show with the Squirrel solving a mystery for Squiddly. I wrote a long letter about this genius idea to the television company but they never replied.   Disappointed

• yes you are right sat mornings it was champion the wonder horse then casey jones then cartoons etc till sat westling and sports sunday from 8am you had kids tv and bbc2 the munsters and addams family i have every episode of both those on my pc including the 2 films they did of the munsters ah happy days i always loved xmas and the holidays as you would always get more films cartoons and kids stuff on the tv

• Hi I'm another 1965er! Like you I watched a LOT of telly as I was shunned by the kids in my road until I was 10 or 11.

Casey Jones was a very early memory for me. It used to be on Sat mornings on BBC1 if I remember correctly and then afterwards go to the test card which used to scare the living crap out of me especially when they used the audio test tone too! Ironically a few years later I got into electronics and radio/TV technology and eventually became a TV Video repairmen and spent much of my time in front of test cards!

• born 1965 and the tv shows i watched

Barnaby The Bear , champion the wonder horse , Casey Jones , Noggin the Nog , Finger Mouse , Pipkins , bagpuss, Worzel Gummidge

The Flumps , Playaway, The Record Breakers , the secret Garden , HR Puffanstuff , Banana Splits , Here Come The Double Deckers

Renta Ghost, Chorlton and the wheelies , Crystal Tipps and Alistair , Just William  , Screen Test ,  Help it's The Hair Bear Bunch ,

Metal Mickey , A.L.F ,  Hong Kong Phooey ,  Roobarb And Custard and on and on i could go i spent more time sat infront of the tv than

playing out as i never really got on with other kids

• John Noakes died just recently he was living in spain and suffered from dementia towards the end very sad

• I had the DVD boxset a few years back.

• They are on YouTube too. The one where a damn bursts in a heavy storm spooked me out. Like a tsunami. The train almost did not make it out of the valley. Most of the other episodes did not register much as they were essentially spaghetti western confrontations between good guy and bad guy on rail, not horseback. 

• ...Greetings, anyone, I did not look at these other replies when I posted during the day, here, yet I mentioned this. I was wondering if it was alright to mention programmes made after the 1980's or to start a separate Thread about them?  My own current favourites would be Pokemon, Power Rangers, and "Miraculous Tales of Ladybug and CatNoir". However - Transformers, My Little Pony, and Alvin And The Chipmunks date across the Eighties and so sort of count here but not count...?

• To Jonesy... This is a daft reply, but I am grateful to hear that someone else also found this "thing" unsettling... Creeping Out at it even now, it is as if my childhood was scarred by it. (That and by watching Joe 90.) I also watched the programme, but ran away at the Logo, it would lie in wait in real Roads and jump up at real people, full orchestral background music... I recall the Theme Tune, and... and... Well, Thanks for sympathising, there...  Phew... Phobia Therapy finished, there, I hope... (!)

• (Picture taken from: www.cliveconwayproductions.com/.../bob-carolgees.html )

Thanks Mr. LoneWarrior... I post this picture of Mr.Carolgees and Sir Spit as if for closure (?!) -I do not edit my previous Posts, as I think it good to remember my getting things mixed up that way...

Here, now, This is a cute picture of "Spit" yet I would not like such things as "spitting" now (...!)  Also Thanks again, I have by now finished eating the Crackerjack Pencil...    :-)

• Really late to this thread, but great to see so many replies - and so many programmes recalled!

Trainspotter, I'm a Gerry Anderson fan too (especially of "Thunderbirds").  I think one of the attractions was that most of his productions were set many years into the future, and there were always futuristic vehicles and tech in the programmes!

I was also a keen animation fan (and still very much so), so always liked the productions from the Hanna-Barbera studios, and also Depatie-Freleng and Filmation.

Vision On was very enjoyable and inventive, and in the early 70s I used to have my tape recorder ready each week to record some of the varied music they used to use as backing.

One programme I haven't seen mentioned yet ran from about 1965-1970, called "Tom Tom".  It mainly seemed to focus on science and technology, and I was very disappointed when they dropped the show in 1970.  The programme's theme tune was by John Baker of the BBC Radiophonic Workshop, of which I was also a big fan.

I'll try to search my memory for other children's programmes, but in the meantime, very much enjoying the lists from others here!

• i think he was called peter glaze and was accompanied by don mclean

• they even brought out an adult version of tiswas that was on late at night and called O.T.T first aired Jan 1982 and ran for 1 series youtube link below

• casey jones tootin and a rolling at the throttle of the cannon ball express