Childrens television programmes of the past

Being born in the fifties, and having my formative years in the sixties and seventies, I believe some of the best television programmes were those made for children. I am a great fan of programmes made for children, and even now think there is some quality work there.But some of the programmes of rhe past excelled in real quality.

For starting this thread I will include one or two of my favourites from the sixties to the eighties.

I will come back to this later with others, I think my avatar would indicate one of my favourites so that goes without saying, for the moment.

The Owl service, a programme made in the late sixties, a mystery about a tea service and the remote.locarion it was set in.

Follyfoot, with its theme tune about a farm for retired horses, the characer of Dora every lad in my year fell in love with

Children of the Stones, a very creepy tale set in Avebury, with similarities to the Wicker Man

The Witches and the Grinnygog, a tale of a gargoyle with a seemingly strange power.

Worzel Gummidge, with Jon Pertwee and Una Stubbs at their best.

Others to come, but opening up to reminiscences from other people.

• they have the star trek animated series no netflix

• However, I shall sign off now, because it is Daylight, and also I do not want that scary "Vision On" Logo to spot me...(!)

You're not the only one DC, I got a bit weirded out by that logo too, still watched the program tho.

Speaking of which does anyone remember Vision On had these crazy doorbell contraptions? They were a series of various electrical and mechanical triggers that linked up and eventually rang a doorbell at the start of the program, a different one each week. This would be in the late 60s or very early 70s. I've asked about these on vintage TV forums and nobody remembers them, but I loved anything gadgety even as a 4 or 5 year old.

• Greetings, and More from myself.
    Animation: Hokey Wolf, Wally Gator, The New Schmoo, He-Man, She-Ra, BraveStarr, ThunderCats, Transformers, The Animals of Farthing Wood, Dogtanian and The Three Muskehounds, Around The World With Willy Fogg (Willy Fogg as a Lion). I never watched "Mysterious Cities Of Gold" because it went on far too looooooooong...
    For live Action: Woof!, The Goodies, RentaGhost, Metal Mickey, The Littlest Hobo, Blake's Seven, Sapphire And Steel. (To this day, I have no idea why I hated "Tomorrow People"...)
    There are some Adult programmes mentioned in this Thread, but to list all of them would chronicle more than Fifty Years...? (And I often think of starting a parallel Thread allowing *current* Television Programmes...)

However, I shall sign off now, because it is Daylight, and also I do not want that scary "Vision On" Logo to spot me...(!)

• Thanks! I don't watch TV so unless some of this is on You Tube I won't see it. 

• Set in future when Earth no longer viable to live on because of nuclear war; people live in space station; send 100 miscreant teenagers ("The 100") down to earth to see if it is now survivable. They encounter "grounders" who have managed to live there. Lots of fighting ensues. That was basically the summary of the 1st series, think we are now onto series 4.

• Fab! I loved The Goodies how could I have forgotten them! My parents used to let me stay up extra late to watch them as a nipper in the early-mid 70s. Bill in particular has been a hero of mine for a long time not only for The Goodies but for his wildlife passion as I was also quite into ornithology as a kid.... and he's a great musician who knows his funk... some of the grooves in the incidental music he co-wrote for the series were deep and my first exposure to the funk and I'm not talking Funky Gibbon here either although that was a laff too

• The 1970s seemed to be a great time for kid's TV, animation and puppet shows. The Clangers, The Wombles, Hector's House, Magic Roundabout.

It's a shame that the powers that be decided it all had to stop when this happened.

• No the name came from the Elvis tune Old Shep via my Mum.

• They weren't allowed to say 'Sellotape' of course. Here's one I made earlier.

youtu.be/55TyNkCAMBc

• It's a good name for a collie. Did you know others with the same name?

I seem to remember when John Noakes mentioned he'd died on Wogan and seemed really cut up about it, although it seems Shep had already found another home:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shep_(British_dog)

• You didn’t fancy making your own replacement then out if washing up liquid bottles and foil tops from milk bottles...and invariably sticky backed plastic? 

• Yep! but not me alone several people came up with the name. The original badge got nicked off my denim jacket in the early 80s but I wrote to them about 18 years ago and they replaced it for me.

• That was you? Do you still have the badge?

• Bless Shep, and Noaksey 

• Do you know that the people of Dubai never watch The Flintstones.
    But the people of Abu Dhabi do!

Didn't the Muppets also do a tour of the Middle East? In Bahrain, they went to Manama, to do a tour, to Manama to do do...

• The Really Wild Show

My wife whose 3 and a half years younger than me loved this show. I barely remember it but apparently its where fellow aspie and all round top bloke Chris Packham got his start in TV.

• Nothing wrong with that - what were your favourites? I'm a huge The Grim Adventures of Billy & Mandy fan - especially the episodes with Fred Fredburger - I can spell my name real good too.

• Am I the baby on this forum? Most programmes mentioned are well before my time.

• Hi DC, first off please don’t apologise for such a small mix up,

It allowed me to relieve part of my childhood by looking on YouTube to find all the names I wrote, I couldn’t remember any apart from tarrant.

So you did me a big service by mixing things up, I laughed way back then and I laughed again tonight. A big thank you for that.

If I had to apologise each time I got things wrong I would be a very busy chap for sure.

Thank you for brightening up my day. Take care and best wishes and a very good night.

• (Too many replies from myself here just now, and so this will be the last for now.) Mr LoneWarrior... I now re-read your reply, and YOU are correct. I was mixing up Crackerjack with Tiswas just as you say...! This is, for myself, a reminder of why I am adverse to "live chat"...! (Bwaah! *sniffle*) I offer profuse apologies for my misunderstanding - It even took me 2 hours to notice and to follow this correctly... My own misunderstanding is so annoying that I may begin a new Thread about it one day...

...Um, meantime, I still keep what I posted, yet do very much apologise for it... (and am still unnerved by that "Vision On" Frog below, though.) Sorry again, Best Wishes and Good Night.