More work problems

Continuing with my problems at work.

And the incidents that annoy me.

I work as a support worker with people having both physical & mental disabilities who exhibit challenging behaviour.  

Last week I got a severe reprimand from a senior support worker for using my smartphone at work.  I was checking the weather forecast on the BBC site.  A couple of hours later the same support worker was spending hours on her smartphone playing solitaire, while her colleague was on social websites.    I hate hypocrisy.

I still haven't been sacked.   But I am facing a formal disciplinary hearing in two weeks time, where one option is dismissal.

New charges against me include, that at one meeting I was moving about on a rotating chair playing with it.  I was actually stimming while under stress and trying to relax.

Smiley

Parents
  • I would always suggest (and you may be already planning to do this) that you attend the meeting with a work colleague or even if possible a Union Rep so you have some one independent on such a serious meeting where dismissal is an issue.  Get them to make notes from both sides on what is said.  This does seem a bit hypocritical but does the company have something about smart phone use in the company handbook ?  

• These problems have been going on for months.  The real problem is the unwritten unspoken rules of behaviour.

There is a company handbook.   And at previous HR management meetings I have pointed out that I was following written procedures when I was formally disciplined. The HR response was contradictory.  She pointed out that rules and procedures must be followed to the letter. And added that sometimes we must ignore the written procedures, otherwise nothing will ever be done.

Rules on smartphones are loose.  We are allowed to use them occasionally when needed.   But not neglect our work while doing so.

My complaint here is the hypocrisy.  The woman who ordered me to stop using the phone. Spends hours playing on her's because she's bored.

Rules on being accompanied to disciplinary meeting are as you say.  Work colleague or union official. Must give 5 days notice.  Work colleagues are afraid for their own jobs and I don't belong to union.

• If you can't take someone with you could you take a recording device such as a dictaphone? Explain that due to disability reasons you struggle with taking written notes and listening at the same time, if you do.

Also, at the end of the meeting write up notes and email them to HR stating that that is your recollection can they please add any comments if they disagree. This helps to produce a paper trail and keep your HR accountable.

I have taken a previous employer to an employment tribunal and that's two strategies I used.

You could talk to the ACAS helpline about the law and strategies for dealing with troublesome employers. I found them to be incredibly helpful.

• If you can't take someone with you could you take a recording device such as a dictaphone? Explain that due to disability reasons you struggle with taking written notes and listening at the same time, if you do.

Also, at the end of the meeting write up notes and email them to HR stating that that is your recollection can they please add any comments if they disagree. This helps to produce a paper trail and keep your HR accountable.

I have taken a previous employer to an employment tribunal and that's two strategies I used.

You could talk to the ACAS helpline about the law and strategies for dealing with troublesome employers. I found them to be incredibly helpful.

Children