Fast forward/rewinding Tv and dvds

Hi I’m a parent to a 6 year old boy with autism. 

He has started wanting to watch the tv or dvds he has on rewind of fast forward. He loves it, he’s bouncing! Arms are going and the joy is clear but when it stops or you turn it off, hell breaks out! 

Does anyone elses chidlren do this? Is it causing him any harm to watch it like this?  

Parents
  • My 6 year old son constantly rewinds and rewatches the same things over and over!

sometimes he's learning off the script...

sometimes he's trying to understand what's happening...

sometimes he's getting a kick out of some music or visual...

I don't see the harm. We used to record and rewind mix tapes / video tapes all the time did we not ;)

• He’s not rewatching, he loves watching it speeded up, so no sound, no story really at all to it :) 

The only thing that concerns me is how upset he gets when he can’t watch it like this, it’s he end of the world 

• My son used to do this also. He will still adjust the speed when playing a downloaded movie, speeding it up. 

He will get angry too if we tried to stop these processes.

I would say its part and parcel with autism, repetitive behaviours and the difficulty with transitioning or moving on from something. He's just not able to switch focus so easily, the brain is perseverating and stuck on what was happening. 

This skill will improve over time, they're still so young.

• My son used to do this also. He will still adjust the speed when playing a downloaded movie, speeding it up. 

He will get angry too if we tried to stop these processes.

I would say its part and parcel with autism, repetitive behaviours and the difficulty with transitioning or moving on from something. He's just not able to switch focus so easily, the brain is perseverating and stuck on what was happening. 

This skill will improve over time, they're still so young.

Children
No Data