Random thoughts from home

These are not all original t o me but here goes ....

In the supermarket they sell bottles of liquid labelled "Still water".  At what stage will it cease to still be water.

And talking of water, one brand says it has percolated and been filtered  through rock for thousands oof years before being bottled. Good job they bottled it when they did as its best before date is only in a months time.

What does an occasional table become when it is not a table.

Who did the first person who bought a telephone want to ring?

Where did the first person who bought a car buy petrol from? Or who  did the first filling station sell petrol to?

How many people died eating poisonous mushrooms and berries before they knew which ones were ok to eat?

There are many more, so what are other contributors favourites?

Parents Reply Children
  • going forward

It may be for people who don't realise that the English language has tenses. I will be a better person going forward. I get the impression it's from accountancy, because spreadsheets don't have tenses.

Do your remember the Labour election slogan from 2005 when they lost about 100 MPs (seems more recent somehow)?

Forward not back.

The first word is a tautology with respect to any policy, but then it's compounded by the following two words. Seemed totally vacuous.

Supermarket meat (especially chicken) often has added water "for extra Succulence." Not only does it make a grotty, milky residue in the pan, but it means you get effectively less meat because it's sold by weight.

That couldn't possibly be the real reason for adding the water, could it? :-(

According to a Radio 4 Food Programme, that's exactly the reason for adding it, and also adding phosphates helps retain the water. I think the EU imposed some limits on the practice. (Not that I care much, as I don't eat meat.)