Characters that are not specified as on the spectrum but probably are. Discuss.

We watch our films, TV shows and read our books. Some might listen to radio plays, play video games or indulge in other forms of entertainment.

There was a thread the other day where someone mentioned Melvin Udell from As Good as it Gets may be on the spectrum.

So in this thread we discuss characters that have never been expressly named as being Autistic but more than likely are in our opinion.

I'll start. The Driver from Drive. He has a specific interest, cars and driving them. Doesn't seem keen on physical contact. Seems awkward around other people. Doesn't make friends easily but when he does he is very loyal. Lots of other hints there imo.

Cadet Sylvia Tilly from Star Trek Discovery. She has lots of traits, extroverted for sure but very direct (awkwardly though) and was introduced as someone who had lots of aversions to fabrics and materials. Has her own quarters because she was deemed to have "special needs". Was clearly bothered when someone slept in her bed even though both beds were identical. Was fast tracked because of her aptitude in specific things but is inept at others, sometimes. I was pretty disappointed when they toned it down in the second half of the series. I was enjoying watching the way the character was sort of Aspie. I found her relatable.

So has anyone else seen a character they have an idea about?

Parents
  • What about Sherlock Holmes himself? I have heard him describes as on the spectrum. 

Someone also brought my attention to Lisbeth Slander, from the book and film, the dragon tattoo badass whom the writer suggests was on the spectrum, but proves herself definitely not to be messed with. 

Trek always seems to have a spectrum character somewhere, in all of its series. First there was Spock and his logic. Then we had Data, who yearns to be human. Then there was 7, who is still pretty Borg. 

• Definitely!  Holmes was my first real obsession as a kid.  I didn't read a great deal when I was young, but by the age of 13 I'd read every Sherlock Holmes story and novel.  I just found the character completely fascinating.  Maybe it was an early intimation...

I don't mind the modern confection with Benedict Cumberbatch.  It's all very smart and witty and savvy.  But for me, you can't beat the Victorian original.  A society before modern technology, here was the first intimation of where forensic science was going to take us.  Such a great evocation of a near-distant past.

• But for me, you can't beat the Victorian original.  A society before modern technology, here was the first intimation of where forensic science was going to take us.  Such a great evocation of a near-distant past.

If you haven't already seen it check out The Alienist on Netflix. It's not about aliens. It's set in New York in the Victorian era. Daniel Brűhl plays a psychologist who sets up a rag tag team who are all versed in the early versions of forensics. It's great imo.

• I will try and check them out them!

Reply Children
No Data