Cold Callers

I can't believe I've just been bamboozled by a couple of these people.  I'm usually ready for such things.  Chuggers never succeed with me.

But this caught me out completely, and I was wrong-footed the whole way.

There was a knock at the door and I looked out of the window to see a young woman dressed like she was off to a party and a young man who looked like an estate agent in his petrol blue suit, sharp haircut and tan brogues with the long pointy toes.

'We're checking addresses in the neighbourhood about the energy supplies,' she said.  'Can you spare a moment for a quick survey?'

I almost said no, but I went down anyway.  She then caught me off-guard with 'You probably heard the news last Friday about gas and electricity prices.  People in this area and others are being massively overcharged.'

I wasn't sure what news she meant.  'Oh... you must have missed it.  Not to worry.  We're just checking in the area to find out how aware people are.'

She had an ID card around her neck.  It all looked official enough.

She then brought out an iPad and asked me some questions about my electricity supply: current supplier, how much I use, etc.  She then said I'm being over-charged by around £25 a year, and would I like to know about cheaper options.  By this time, I was thinking it was an official check-up by the energy regulator - that's how befuddled I was.  To cut a long story short, I ended up - after 10 minutes of brash, patronising, in-my-face banter - signing up to an alternative supplier.  I'd seen her ID by this time - she put that in my face, too - with the name of a respectable price comparison organisation I thought I recognised - and I knew I could easily cancel.  I'd been thinking of changing supplier, anyway, and had been planning to do my own checking.  On top of that, I just wanted them to go.

Next thing, I'm getting a phone call (they'd asked for my number, naturally) from head office to confirm that I was accepting the application.  I said 'yes'.  Then it was done.

Afterwards, I felt like I'd been assaulted in some way.  I then did my own comparisons - and found not only that the supplier she'd offered me was, in fact, dearer than my current supplier, but that there was an even cheaper one!

A short while later, they passed my window again and I went out.  I told her what I'd found.  She seemed puzzled and tried to challenge me with 'But they don't do pre-payment tariffs.'  I showed her the evidence.  She then just shrugged it off.  'Well... have a think about it.  You can always cancel if you don't want to go ahead.  There's no charge.'

Grrr!  Damn people!  I detest them and the tactics they use.  All the stupid flattery.  'Now, are you over 18?' she grinned, looking at my obviously grey hair and obviously middle-aged face.  Then the concluding 'Thank you for being such a wonderful human being this evening and being so patient with us.'

I've emailed the cancellation off now.  Even if her choice had been cheaper, I'd still cancel on the principle of how it was all done.

Oh... and the respectable company name I thought I recognised?  It wasn't them.  They're using a similar name.  Even the logo is similar.   When I checked out that company's website, there's a piece on there warning about this outfit, and how they're operating.  They're a genuine company.  But their methods are not at all good.  (She did, I should add, mention that they had no connection - but at a point where I was a bit too distracted to take proper notice, and the similarity of name and logo caught me out).

Just a warning in case others are similarly approached.  I still feel frazzled by it all, 2 hours later.  Just another example of how easily I get taken in - even after all the stuff I've learned over the years. 

• The way she made it sound at the outset, I thought they were some form of inspectors following up on a local news item.  Her manner was so loud, brash and urgent that it was difficult to properly figure out what was going on.  Just shows how easy it is to manipulate if you use the 'right' methods.

• Bad luck. I wonder if the company that's being imitated has a trademark they can enforce, or trading standards can do anything. This may not be passing-off, but is a kind of slamming.

We generally make good decisions if allowed to do so at our own pace. If caught on the hop, I think it's easy to be panicked into saying something that you think might sound acceptable or responsible. A good stock phrase is 'I don't deal at the door with people I don't know'... unless I suppose it really is the meter reader with ID from the company you already get bills from.

• I understand how you feel.  And you are not alone in having cold caller problems.

On the street I used to live, cold callers were a very big problem.

once, one woman came to me for help.  She had been persuaded to take both gas and electric from the same suppler.

Her new supplier had sent her a letter welcoming her and telling her that she had made a wise decision.

Her old supplier sent her letter saying how disappointed they were and urged her to change her mind and take both fuels from.

She just wanted her £100 cheque.  Claiming that's what the sales man has promised her within 7 days.

• I had one a little while ago - a bloke with an iPad, from a consumer organisation, asking if I'd be prepared to take part in a consumer survey.  There was payment, too, of  £20 for taking part.  He took my details and said I'd be posted the survey form.  When it arrived, there was pages and pages of it.  I started to answer some of the questions - but after an hour, I wasn't even a quarter of the way through.  In the end I gave up and sent it all back.

• Don't feel bad. Lots of people are taken in by stuff like that. They're trained to trick people. I have found the ideal solution to that sort of thing: I simply never answer my door!