energy accounting

I would like to know what energy accounting is and how to do it myself.

I get burnt out and only figure out why in hindsight.

can someone from NAS help me do this as I never recognise what uses energy until after its happened and I struggle to make new diaries into an established routine or habit, as I already keep track of so much...

are there templates for I can use for energy accounting?

I also looked for the e-befriending service I was advised to check out by NAS at the autism show in Birmingham this year but couldn't find it...

look forward to your help soon,

faithfully,

noushka

Parents
  • I think the question of 'energy accounting' is really valuable and I've only recently read about it.

For years I thought that perhaps I wasn't trying hard enough in noisy or social situations as I tired quickly. It's reassuring to hear that the energetic cost of trying to fit into an NT world  is recognised within the community and (I hope) it will become more widely known and talked about within professional circles. 

For years I've retreated to my bedroom and cried following lots of social contact and/or being in a busy or noisy environment. I used to think this was depression, but noticed that after doing this for a while I would feel better so I now understand it as a pressure release valve that helps me to regulate.

My list of re-energisers and energy drainers are as follows. Hope they may help you to identify some of yours:

RE-ENERGISERS:

Alone time

1:1 time with close friends 

Listening to music (I love Spotify)

Pet cuddles (luckily I know a few dog owners)

Meditation 

Yoga

Cycling 

Being in nature / appreciating beautiful scenery

Reading (usually special interests)

Receiving nurturing touch (massage)

5 rhythms / ecstatic dance

DRAINERS:

noisy + busy environments

Social contact

Simultaneous loud conversations going on around me 

Too many simultaneous demands

Constant interruptions 

• thats a great help for me starting my own lists and calculating how much I have left over each day- thanks very much :)

Reply Children