Hey, if you like books.....

Do you agree with this list by And of the top 20? Would you throw out some, or include other titles?

Look what I shared: 100 (Fiction) Books to Read in a Lifetime - AbeBooks.com @MIUI| www.abebooks.com/.../index.shtml

Parents
  • Have you also seen the booker prize short list of booker winners - based on the 50 yrs of the literary award?

https://www.theguardian.com/books/2018/may/26/man-booker-prize-novel-golden-five-shortlist

this is also a list of top reads and you can also tick off the ones you’ve read..

http://thegreatestbooks.org

• We did some of the Canterbury Tales at school. We were told beyond the prescribed ones The Miller's tale was somewhat ribald, so as hormonal school kids.......

Killing an Arab. Robert Smith was also 1959 vintage and so he must have done L'Etranger for his French A level too. Oh. Mum died yesterday. At least I think it was but can't really remember. Then he committed said killing because he'd had too much sun. The idea you could be executed for not responding in socially appropriate ways spooked me but I liked Meursault's brutal honesty in not capitulating to the prescribed forms of sentiment.  We did The Plague too but I'd already read that at 13, along with Christie's Cat Among the Pigeons, where schoolmistresses were being murdered at an alarming pace at an exclusive girl's boarding school. RIP Blyton. I read The Plague because I was morbidly curious about Plague, which by the way is still going strong in some parts of the world, including the States. I still rate Camus for his anti capital punishment stance. 

Lolita I read for myself recently. Wuthering Heights I read many moons ago, as well as Jane Eyre. And did I read 1984. And Kafka's Trial and metamorphosis. Later on someone told me about a tale in which the protagonist is turned not into a giant beetle but rather a giant *** and it is his analyst who breaks the news. Good for a giggle. 

• Many an SF spree and glutting of all things vampire have I embarked upon. We did The Time Machine at school.and I have the film on You Tube, as well as more recent O level favourite, The Woman on Black. The 1989 TV film was.an absolute treat, the Harry potter version a bit overdone though the author didn't like the 1989 version at all. 

I started David Copperfield at 11 but could not continue as all the abuse David kept experiencong made reading it too upsetting, but I finished it later. 

I see Dante, Catch 22 and Middlemarch, which have come up before, have shown up here. Ulysses we did at Uni, ditto The Iliad and The aOdyssey, epics were mandatory, Scarlet and Black and Anna Karenina. 

• Ahhh Enid Blyton. Mallory Towers etc..

To be fair to Christie... a scaling down of the staff room made good sense!

i met my first husband whilst sat in a pub reading the Plague supping a pint of Guinness.. such feminine mystique.., lol

• There seems to be a rather zealous editor. I wonder what will happen to aunt Fanny......

• “The best way to treat obstacles is to use them as stepping-stones. Laugh at them, tread on them, and let them lead you to something better.”
    Enid Blyton, Mr Galliano's Circus

Reply Children
No Data