About Space Exploration

Anyone interested in Space Exploration here?

Anyone passionate about and interested in the big projects?

Anyone interested in a journey through the Universe?

Parents
  • ...Excuse me, but What happened to this Thread?

California did not reply, either... might that have been because replies were about Astronomy, rather than "Space Exploration"...?

Anyone interested in a journey through the Universe?

...We all are (here), but little probes with little power and little distance are not very interesting. I say get rid of "Jet Propulsion" and focus upon AntiGravity, is what I say... But it is too expensive and so that is why it is currently so limited. (..It Gets rid of Oxides and just uses pure Elements like Gold and Lithium.)

...Any more discussion? I would like to know the precise number used (in software) for calculating the phases of the Moon, for example. I cannot build a StoneHenge for myself and so I do not know...!      ;-)

• I am more interested in Space Exploration.

Reply Children
  • I did go to a talk a few months back about the satellites of the outer planets. We do know so much more about them than when I was a youngster because of the probes.  The images can be very detailed and emphasise that there seem to be no two bodies in the solar system that are alike - they've just discovered snowdrifts on Pluto, which you wouldn't find on volcanic places like Io.

After hundreds of millions of years as the sun grows hotter, it's possible these places may support life, although not as we know it. That's why they crashed Cassini into Saturn.

There are several more dwarf planets found now besides Pluto, so I wonder if there's any chance of a probe to those getting off the ground. I might be interested in links to recent articles or still images.  July's Sky at Night is on the 8th for those of us with access to BBC TV (I mentioned it before & it's partly the fact it's on irregular dates that makes it hard to remember to watch).  They used to do monthly sky maps too. Even in the city, I noticed Jupiter is very bright and close to the Moon at the moment.

• Do you mean exploration by unmanned probes to other planets, satellites, comets etc?

Yes!

• ...Greetings. Glad I/we could specify, here... Yes, you changed the title, from Astronomy in general, to specifiying "Space Exploration" specifically with specific specification, there...

What I said still stands, for myself:

but little probes with little power and little distance are not very interesting. I say get rid of "Jet Propulsion" and focus upon AntiGravity, is what I say... But it is too expensive and so that is why it is currently so limited. (..It Gets rid of Oxides and just uses pure Elements like Gold and Lithium.)

...That bit, there. But I guess that is not what is to be discussed here. I also said that I had long thought myself of starting an Astronomy Thread - to discuss Moon Phases, Sun Position, Constellations...and so forth.

The only reason I do not start it now is because... Summer is here and when it is really hot then I am OFF this Forum!

Good Luck with this Thread, anyone...!

• Ah, I think you changed the title. Do you mean exploration by unmanned probes to other planets, satellites, comets etc?

Or even other stars? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Breakthrough_Starshot

I've only skimmed the long 'Journey' video, but it seems to include images of the satellites of outer planets from actual missions plus later bits of CGI where a bit more imagination has been used.