One of the saddest events in my life

This happened in 2000.  But I am sharing it now to get it off my chest and because it still affects my confidence today, whenever I remember it.

Back in 2000, I was a part time carer and I was looking for part time retail work because of their very flexible working hours.

I had applied to all the local supermarkets and major stores.  I had got two interviews but been turned down.

The job centre suggested a two week course which was run in conjunction with the city council and a major supermarket.  At the end of the course we were guaranteed an actual interview for a real job with a new supermarket which was opening nearby.

At the end of the first week I was called into the training centres manager's office.  And he asked me to leave. Frowning2

I asked why because I was unaware of having done  anything wrong.  

At first he refused to give a reason, they just wanted me to leave!

After much hesitation, he told me.

1. I did not fit in with the rest of the group.
  2. I didn't belong here.
  3. The trainers were terrified of me.
  4. They just didn't want me there.
  5. No supermarket would employ me in a million years.
  6. I should just leave.

So I left.  Feeling rejected and dejected.

Parents
  • Sorry to hear about your experiences. I have had two terrible experiences in the workplace due to not fitting in with their culture. One ended up at an employmet tribunal and the other treated me so badly that when I raised a complaint, which was to be overseen by a different department, they paid me a settlement figure to leave so there bad behaviour wouldn't be uncovered. These two experiences really knocked my confidence and sent my anxiety levels through the roof.

That period of my life lasted five years and at times I was sceptical that things would get better. I kept ploughing on and have now found a lovely supportive team and am finaly getting my confidence back.

I like to think that for each horrible person out there, there is a good one. Its just the bad tend to stick in our thoughts longer :-(

• Sorry to hear about your experiences. I have had two terrible experiences in the workplace due to not fitting in with their culture. One ended up at an employmet tribunal and the other treated me so badly that when I raised a complaint, which was to be overseen by a different department, they paid me a settlement figure to leave so there bad behaviour wouldn't be uncovered. These two experiences really knocked my confidence and sent my anxiety levels through the roof.

That period of my life lasted five years and at times I was sceptical that things would get better. I kept ploughing on and have now found a lovely supportive team and am finaly getting my confidence back.

I like to think that for each horrible person out there, there is a good one. Its just the bad tend to stick in our thoughts longer :-(

Children
No Data