One of the saddest events in my life

This happened in 2000.  But I am sharing it now to get it off my chest and because it still affects my confidence today, whenever I remember it.

Back in 2000, I was a part time carer and I was looking for part time retail work because of their very flexible working hours.

I had applied to all the local supermarkets and major stores.  I had got two interviews but been turned down.

The job centre suggested a two week course which was run in conjunction with the city council and a major supermarket.  At the end of the course we were guaranteed an actual interview for a real job with a new supermarket which was opening nearby.

At the end of the first week I was called into the training centres manager's office.  And he asked me to leave. Frowning2

I asked why because I was unaware of having done  anything wrong.  

At first he refused to give a reason, they just wanted me to leave!

After much hesitation, he told me.

1. I did not fit in with the rest of the group.
  2. I didn't belong here.
  3. The trainers were terrified of me.
  4. They just didn't want me there.
  5. No supermarket would employ me in a million years.
  6. I should just leave.

So I left.  Feeling rejected and dejected.

• Mr. Robert123 lists:

2- I didn't belong here.

3- The trainers were terrified of me.

4- They just didn't want me there.

...I get numbers 2 & 4 at myself upon a regular basis - even from a distance, just upon sight of me. Of number 3, sometimes it is useful for keeping strangers away, but it does not work upon "children" (they chase me). If I could control it, that would be brilliant.

When I was forced to "JobSeek", the Employers would largely be impressed with what I could do and with my knowledge. But then they would give non-specific reasons for dismissal to my face (such as giving me "the afternoon off"). Then officially later on, they would invent and supply some excuse for no longer keeping me within their employ at all (via a Letter or Phone-Call). But they would always keep/copy/use the work which I did there anyway.

• That does seem nonsensical if you'd coped for over eight years. I hope UNISON have a helpful lawyer and you beat the depression.

• Sorry to hear about what happened, but I hope that in the years since then you've found somewhere better, with people who are prepared to at least try to be understanding. Best wishes.

• That's so sad. We all have ups and down. Even me had uncountable sad moments in my life...lost a loved one, got cheated, got embarrassed and too many to mention here. Don't worry, you'll finally find your happiness soon. Just keep your faith alive. Everything will turn out right in God's perfect time.

• You're right about job descriptions often wanting good communication skills, no matter what it's for. I've been looking for a second part time job. I just tried McDonalds, who are recruiting near me. There was an online survey, to see whether you're suited to the role, and I answered honestly and blew it. How extrovert do you really need to be to prepare burgers? I feel sure I could have coped with asking someone whether they want fries with that. We shall never know.

• It's horrible when something like that happens because you can't just forget it. I had a retail interview a few years back that went very badly. I tried my best but the interviewer was quite angry at me for some reason and finished by saying that i would never be suitable for anything that involved customer service. Unfortunately lots of job descriptions mention that, regardless of whether they are a retail position and i can't help but remember that incident whenever i see that phrase.

• That is very sad, although it says a lot about what we're up against. A two week course, and they inexplicably stopped it. Why were they 'terrified'?

(thinks)

Your problem was that you were too good for them.

• I  have also lost  my job and the reason given was that after working there for eight and a half years I would not cope as an 'autistic' person with the 'varibilities' of the job with a thousand students, yet they accept autistic children into their academy.  So you are not alone in being discriminated against.  At the moment I am fighting depression which is trying to come back after being rejected and have also contacted my union UNISON.  I wish we all could protest at the lack of acceptance in the work place..

• Sorry to hear about your experiences. I have had two terrible experiences in the workplace due to not fitting in with their culture. One ended up at an employmet tribunal and the other treated me so badly that when I raised a complaint, which was to be overseen by a different department, they paid me a settlement figure to leave so there bad behaviour wouldn't be uncovered. These two experiences really knocked my confidence and sent my anxiety levels through the roof.

That period of my life lasted five years and at times I was sceptical that things would get better. I kept ploughing on and have now found a lovely supportive team and am finaly getting my confidence back.

I like to think that for each horrible person out there, there is a good one. Its just the bad tend to stick in our thoughts longer :-(

• Was the supermarket Morrisons? I had a similar experience.