Chat Bot

Am I right to be concerned about the possibility of Chat Bots on this site?

There are a few concerning posts and, as I don't know much about these things, I'm not sure if I'm worrying over nothing here? Can they cause harm to individuals in any way on this type of chat site? 

If I'm being ridiculous, someone please tell me so! (I will be more relieved than offended.)

• To Both Deep and Cloudy...

Deep quotes Cloudy, but replies to me. I cannot see this reply from Cloudy which contains this quote! To both of you again, I might like to stay, but I am getting errors like this as well as being huffed about the Ra*** business. I have to sign off, now, with even my own replies (the one that says "Aaaargh") disappearing! I would apologise for my latter posts, but it is not really my fault... I am still in a Huff and annoyed and all that, but largely at this Forum just now (at Three in the Morning)...

• That's a pretty basic bot. An old IRC bot I'm guessing.

Year its the basic starter model, then the rest follows as you get deeper into the system. I had a bit of shock actually when I got in, as the programmers started asking me how I knew what I did and how I had done what I did, and I did not realise I was communicating with the programmer and his assistant at first ~ so so mega confusing.

• DC I am not telling you off.

DeepThought! This reply was missing! I did not see it! I was in a bit of a huff about the reply to which I replied to that followed it, though...Aaaaargh!!

• To Mr DeepThought...

Truly - NOW you reply to this which I posted 2 Hours ago, Is that so? Yes, I WAS going to do that, but now given what you posted not 30 minutes ago - I am TOTALLY no longer interested in this, now. I am leaving off, "Disallowed" again. Thank You for your time and warnings and whatever.

• I fully expect the whole thing to be locked or deleted by tomorrow, and I shall never get such a good chance to find out about such things again..

Are you referring to the chance of checking out how Bots work?

• I logged on in order to further investigate, but got told off, here, and so I might not do that now.

DC I am not telling you off. I am not an Authority over you and I can not govern your actions, as that is your responsibility as much as it for all of us in terms of supporting each other as well. I am just describing my understanding and comprehension of things as I experienced them happening, and advising you accordingly in regard to the pattern.

Okay :-)

• You have decided that guilt applies,

To sort of finish my reply to DeepThought... That is the last part which I do not follow. But I suppose that I follow the rest, and, as I said to CloudyMountains, I am quitting all of this now. It could have become interesting, but... 

• To Cloudy Mountains... Thank You for your reply, very much. I need time off to consider it, now, and because of DeepThought's Replies to me. All I dare do is wait and see what happens tomorrow, now. 

• misrepresenting yourself,

Okay... I think, this is the part I get, there, finally. This is what you meant. The thing was, sometimes when Spam Threads occur, some of us used to expose it by what could be regarded as "Spamming" right back, posting jokes, making light of the topic, that sort of thing. This is what I was going to do (puppies, kittens, etc.), and see how replies developed. But I guess I am not doing that now, because of whatever else you meant, there...

...and as I write this, another reply shows up, so I must post this and see what it says, and that is probably the end of the whole RA*** business...

• I think the whole thing is nothing to worry about generally. Nothing can happen out on the main site in plain view. I used to work in fraud for several financial institutions. By the initial context of the messages if anything was suspect it was the way that "dating", "friends" and "private messages" were mentioned. Also the lack of understanding about ASD. Everyday I used to have cases pass over my desk that used to be people being exploited using such terms. 419 scams, rinsers all types of scams. If the person went into a private scenario, then they could be posted a link that was a clickjack, a site with a script exploit or things of that nature. Some bots now are indistinguishable from a real person at first glance. I've seen ones on messenger services that are pretty well disguised. On forums such as this not so much. If Rachel is up to anything they would need to get into some scenario or post a link on a private room to get away with anything. They might be under the impression that they can prey on vulnerable people.

The main thing I find fishy is the constant profile revision. It said they were diagnosed in the UK and then said they like travelling there or the US. They also said they were born blind at one point! It's either a troll, a scammer or it could be someone who just isn't genuinely good at communicating. The health difficulties and situation they had posted in their profile didn't tally up with the activities and interests they listed in a thread. Might be nothing but I'm not doing anything in private. I was paid to investigate things like this. I've seen some pretty strange things!

• Finally...! You replied! Thank You - was wondering about what you meant, there...My own reply to follow this initial Thanks, I must read the reply a bit more...

• Um... Thank You for the response, certainly, but I may regret asking this, which is that I do not know what you mean there.

You have decided that guilt applies, while still looking for evidence, which is called prejudice. You are stalking your target, misrepresenting yourself, being discriminatory  and disregarding the community rules. I do not know how soon the Moderators will be on this issue, Monday at the earliest or more possibly Tuesday or Wednesday perhaps. But now is the time to consider instead damage limitation.

Remember that suspected wrongs do not make right the evidential wrongs, and follow the community rules to the final letter and the last full stop.

Also Ra*** actually began exactly One Week ago, and is unconnected to other Spam that occurred then. There have been about 5 or so Threads begun by this one person, and your Program somewhat fits all of the responses, and lack of responses...

Again most bots ask me if I am a bot, so be very very careful regarding the theoretical map not being the practical territory regarding your hypothesis on this matter.

Do not worry about asking if  the Program is in BASIC or not, just because of my pointing it out, please. I just cheered a little to be able to follow it <> exactly (Goto, String$, REM... that sort of thing. I have not seen that in Years.)...

You asked so I offered to find out, so no worries involved there about doing so or not. I am going to make a point of asking for my personal interest anyway.

• People they are not a chatbot. A chatbot wouldn't amend their profile. They are also asking people to add friends and private message. A bot would usually not use complex commands on the site interface. Someone would need to code a site specific bot for this. A quite convoluted process.

Thanks for being here now. I was meaning to ask you about this earlier Post. As you do not say that is completlely impossible to do, then doing such a thing is possible...? Also, I figured that Ra*** was mostly Automated, yet may be augmented by the person that put Ra*** here, which is why it is partly intelligent yet partly not.

(Hope you understand what I mean, there.)

• Bots are a lot more complex now. She's not a bot anyway she kept switching her profile up.

• That's a pretty basic bot. An old IRC bot I'm guessing.

• Yes. Have a look around, it is complicated, I posted links...

I logged on in order to further investigate, but got told off, here, and so I might not do that now. I fully expect the whole thing to be locked or deleted by tomorrow, and I shall never get such a good chance to find out about such things again...

To anyone else reading, I also logged on in order to revive the Problems Thread now that Easter is over. 

• Hey all, I've just logged on and this is the first thread I've popped in to - it had 11 notifications!!! Now I see why, sort of ... It looks like something weird was happening last night while I was offline!?!? No idea what yet but it's slowly coming together like a jigsaw, hmmmm.  

• Seriously DC, desist from this harassment,

...Sorry, me again. That is the part where I do not know what you mean. As you see me Post there, using "positive" words such as Puppies, Kittens, Like, Rainbows... and then the response is "I want friend you"... that is what I was curious about. I intended not at all to Post anything like "Harrassment"? I was wondering what you meant by that.

This Forum was a safe place in which to learn about it, and I was curious about it... but, as you tell me to leave off, then...well...?

• Seriously DC, desist from this harassment, it became a Moderator issue yesterday. We have already had two in the last month, for pretty much the same reason, please think in terms of damage limitation.

Um... Thank You for the response, certainly, but I may regret asking this, which is that I do not know what you mean there.

Also Ra*** actually began exactly One Week ago, and is unconnected to other Spam that occurred then. There have been about 5 or so Threads begun by this one person, and your Program somewhat fits all of the responses, and lack of responses...

Do not worry about asking if  the Program is in BASIC or not, just because of my pointing it out, please. I just cheered a little to be able to follow it <> exactly (Goto, String$, REM... that sort of thing. I have not seen that in Years.)...

Not sure what else to say in this Post, now...