A sense of entitlement

Why do so many people have a sense of entitlement?

I was discussing this with a friend at the weekend and we couldn't really get to the bottom of it, other than perhaps it's just been a slow erosion of society and work ethic.

They don't work, but are entitled to (net) taxpayers money, so they can have things that taxpayers can't afford, to live in areas that those taxpayers can't afford, to have holidays, to not work a job they don't want to, to be entitled to an easy and well paid job. That they have "rights" that must be treated as gospel, but not any responsibilities that are tied to those rights. That rules are just for "someone else", a whole attitude that everyone else owes them a living etc. 

What is the flawed mental process where people decide that they are entitled to things just because they want them? How can anyone even attempt to justify that "want" means "entitled"?

Parents
  • As someone who gets up every morning with a sense of dread about what my employer is going to do to cause me more stress, who leaves work thoroughly exhausted, who is constantly belittled and micromanaged by my employer, who is made to feel like a caged animal, and when I finally pluck up the courage to make a complaint about it get told that they will offer me a wholly inadequate sum of money to leave or else procedures will be put in place to dismiss me on 'poor performance' (totally unwarranted) I know very well that someone without a job is not necessarily there because of a sense of 'entitlement' to benefits.

As I said in my previous post, this whole thread seems to be based on a sense of envy that some people are for some reason perceived to be on benefits because they choose to. 

I was without work for over twenty years, not because I wanted to be on benefits (most of that time I was not on any benefit anyway).  It was because I was unable to get a job despite applying and getting interviews.  I was not unemployed because I was stupid, or because others were better than me.  I was out of work because I was useless at interviews due to my autism.  I always froze, didn't know how to answer the questions, didn't engage in eye-contact, my 'body language' was all wrong and was thought of as 'odd'.  Although I have been in employment nearly continually for the last 20 years, I have not progressed.  I have been kept in my place by a system that feels threatened by autistic people.

So there is no way I would judge anyone who is on benefits and not in work.  The system puts them in that situation and in the vast majority of cases I believe it is no fault of ther es. 

We should try to be more understanding and less judgemental especially when we don't know of the individual facts and circumstances.

• As someone who gets up every morning with a sense of dread about what my employer is going to do to cause me more stress, who leaves work thoroughly exhausted, who is constantly belittled and micromanaged by my employer, who is made to feel like a caged animal, and when I finally pluck up the courage to make a complaint about it get told that they will offer me a wholly inadequate sum of money to leave or else procedures will be put in place to dismiss me on 'poor performance' (totally unwarranted) I know very well that someone without a job is not necessarily there because of a sense of 'entitlement' to benefits.

As I said in my previous post, this whole thread seems to be based on a sense of envy that some people are for some reason perceived to be on benefits because they choose to. 

I was without work for over twenty years, not because I wanted to be on benefits (most of that time I was not on any benefit anyway).  It was because I was unable to get a job despite applying and getting interviews.  I was not unemployed because I was stupid, or because others were better than me.  I was out of work because I was useless at interviews due to my autism.  I always froze, didn't know how to answer the questions, didn't engage in eye-contact, my 'body language' was all wrong and was thought of as 'odd'.  Although I have been in employment nearly continually for the last 20 years, I have not progressed.  I have been kept in my place by a system that feels threatened by autistic people.

So there is no way I would judge anyone who is on benefits and not in work.  The system puts them in that situation and in the vast majority of cases I believe it is no fault of ther es. 

We should try to be more understanding and less judgemental especially when we don't know of the individual facts and circumstances.

Children