A sense of entitlement

Why do so many people have a sense of entitlement?

I was discussing this with a friend at the weekend and we couldn't really get to the bottom of it, other than perhaps it's just been a slow erosion of society and work ethic.

They don't work, but are entitled to (net) taxpayers money, so they can have things that taxpayers can't afford, to live in areas that those taxpayers can't afford, to have holidays, to not work a job they don't want to, to be entitled to an easy and well paid job. That they have "rights" that must be treated as gospel, but not any responsibilities that are tied to those rights. That rules are just for "someone else", a whole attitude that everyone else owes them a living etc. 

What is the flawed mental process where people decide that they are entitled to things just because they want them? How can anyone even attempt to justify that "want" means "entitled"?

Parents
  • I think a lot of this discussion is apocryphal, someone hearing their neighbours friend's second cousin once removed is behaving in a way that we don't approve of.

And as such it is one of the ways of divide and conquer.  As autistic people, we should try to support each other, be glad when someone manages to obtain what they are entitled to, not try to fight against it on the basis that someone else more worthy has not managed to obtain their 'entitlement' so the other person cannot be entitled to anything.

It is very unlikely we know someone's full story, why they should or should not be entitled to anything.  Yes, I am sure some will try to play the system, but there are safeguards in place, the real problem is that the safeguards are too strict which puts people off applying and makes the 'entitlements' very difficult to get.

On a lighter note, you may or may not have heard of Doreen Tipton (not her real name, just a character from the Black Country played by an actress) but you may find it amusing (it is not serious....)

Doreen 'Lazy Bovine' syndrome

Doreen on Benefits Street

• I think a lot of this discussion is apocryphal, someone hearing their neighbours friend's second cousin once removed is behaving in a way that we don't approve of.

And as such it is one of the ways of divide and conquer.  As autistic people, we should try to support each other, be glad when someone manages to obtain what they are entitled to, not try to fight against it on the basis that someone else more worthy has not managed to obtain their 'entitlement' so the other person cannot be entitled to anything.

It is very unlikely we know someone's full story, why they should or should not be entitled to anything.  Yes, I am sure some will try to play the system, but there are safeguards in place, the real problem is that the safeguards are too strict which puts people off applying and makes the 'entitlements' very difficult to get.

On a lighter note, you may or may not have heard of Doreen Tipton (not her real name, just a character from the Black Country played by an actress) but you may find it amusing (it is not serious....)

Doreen 'Lazy Bovine' syndrome

Doreen on Benefits Street

Children