National Key Scheme for toilets.

I have had a 'Radar' National Key Scheme key for some time.

I find public toilets impossible, they are smelly and unhygeinic with wet (urine) soaked floors, rudimentary handwashing facilities, and only slightly better than wetting myself. I will only use one when absolutely desperate.   I therefore thought that as I was Autistic I would get a key so I could use the 'disabled' toilet.

Problem is, I cannot bring myself to use it.  I do not have a wheelchair or have physical problems using a 'normal' toilet.  The problems I have are a mental aversion.  On the odd occasion I have used the 'disabled' toilet (what a strange name, it is not the toilet that is disabled, it works perfectly!) it is because the normal one is out of use.  And it has always been a lot cleaner and more pleasant.

So should I just grit my teeth and bear the normal toilets?  Or should I ignore the (perceived) thoughts of those who think I should not use the disabled toilet.  Or is it the case I should not use the disabled toilet at all as they are only intended for those who are physically disabled?

Parents
  • I have been to public toilets that are very good, some exceptional (North Berwick and Dunbar in Scotland should be on the tourist map as how public toilets should be, at least when I visited ten years ago, even fresh flowers in them!).  But not always can we choose to use good toilets, often the only toilets available are the poor ones, and not always a disabled one available anyway....!  But sometimes there is a disabled toilet adjacent to the one that is disgusting ....sometimes at a bus station, sometimes in the park ...  and often when the other toilets are shut which is when I will use the key.

I do face another problem with public toilets and that is complete lack of privacy.  And this is alleviated with a disabled toilet with toilet and washing facilities togethet

• In our local Morrison supermarket the disabled toilet door has a big sign on it that says “ Not all disabilities can be seen”.

I use disabled toilets often, I have no trouble doing so, the other toilets are wrecked normally, Sainsbury have zero flush urinals and they smell disgusting, 

If I am in a supermarket and there facilities are not good I will use the facilities that are good,i treat them with respect. I am a human being just like anyone with a disability is, 

Also I never use urinals as They give no privacy at all. 

I expect to do what all humans have to do with privacy and a level of cleanliness.

Also if a disabled toilet becomes unusable would it be ok to judge a disabled person for using non disabled toilets,?  they would be stopping a non disabled person by doing so.

I wish  all beings could just share and be  more tolerant instead of always trying to be judgemental.

• Also I never use urinals as They give no privacy at all.
    I expect to do what all humans have to do with privacy and a level of cleanliness.

The same here.

Reply Children
No Data