Daily experience of an autistic

My Universal Credit, work coach referred me  to learndirect for a week long customer care course.

Yesterday I had my interview.

A lot of form filling, name, address, phone no. Email, national insurance, next of kin phone, etc etc etc.

Q...  What is my ideal job?

What job I would refuse to do?

Any disabilities ???????

Around 10 Q about my style of learning. Multiple choice with 3 choices.

Formal face to face interview.

A Maths test. 

Place four numbers in order from lowest to highest?  

Someone spends £10 a week on travel.  How much will he spend on travel in four weeks?  Show all workings.

Etc

An English test.

Circle wrongly spelt words.

Add Capitals and full stops to a sentence.

Identify a verb in a sentence.  They even explained that a verb is an action or doing word.   

Week long course starts on Monday 29th Jan.

Parents
  • Update.

Received yet another message remaining me about Monday's course.

Is it normal to send two reminders about meetings and appointments?

Or is there something unusual about the organisation or their clientele so that they need constant reminders?

• I don’t know Shrug tone1‍ I am finding that more and more companies are using the text message reminder systems and sometimes I think they’re being a little over the top but to be honest, I usually need them as I am quick to forget some times.

Reply Children
  • A couple of text messages is completely normal. I had my A2W appointment last Monday and received three reminders over the previous Thursday, Friday and then another one on the morning of the appointments. 

If their amount of contact feels uncomfortable to you I'd email their head office to explain that. Two text messages, a phone call, and an email could easily make someone feel overwhelmed, especially if they have ASD or a MH condition.

When I first started teaching I worked for a similar company teaching maths and English to unemployed adults. The company only received payment from the gov for how many bums on seats they were, which is probably why they're so keen to ensure your attendance.

• Don't overdo the mileage - you wouldn't want to miss your appointment on Monday due to a bad back, now would you? Wink

• Enjoy the hike. I'm looking forward to getting out walking again as soon as I can. You're doing well to get out walking with your busy schedule. Don't forget your appointment on Monday ;) 

• I value your opinions.

Anyway, going off topic.  If weather is ok tomorrow, I'm going on a hike with this group.  http://www.ramblers.org.uk/go-walking/find-a-walk-or-route/walk-detail.aspx?walkID=3930863

• Glad Tidings, as always, to Mr.Robert...

(...I wonder why, at times, other persons do not Post answers which to myself seem greatly obvious... yet *certain* others *are* quick to dismiss what I attempt to express...)

The reasons for so many reminders may be mainly Two:

1- To satisfy LEGAL Conditions concerning that particular Company.

And 2- ...Because the Internet/EMail/Texting is not reliable/perfect, and a person might not recieve any EMail/Message/Text. And so they send it multiple times, yet may not specify your being obliged to "Respond" (a "Response" which they might not read the contents of anyway). Apologies if this is not helpful, yet it is what I know as a guess.

• One reminder is useful and welcome, I would only send a second reminder if considerable time has passed.

But here:

Monday:. induction day, appointment made for individual interview on Wednesday.

Late Monday, reminder by text message.

Late Tuesday, identical reminder by text message.

Wednesday:. Interview and course to start next Monday. Received full information pack.

Friday, phone call checking if I will attend.

Saturday. Reminder by email with full details.