I have an idea

Hi all,

I have come up with an idea for a project and was wondering if anyone could help/give feedback.

What do people think of autism friendly places/activities?

The idea is an app specifically for the UK that has all the different places/activities that are autism friendly on a map. It would include a suggestions post where people could add a place they thought was appropriate. 

Any comments would be great

Thanks

Parents
  • ...so you're saying you want to put the data from the NAS service directory http://www.autism.org.uk/directory.aspx onto a map, so that people can see the relative location of things?

Couldn't we just ask the NAS to insert a Google map mashup into their existing service directory, so that anyone with access to the web (even if they don't own the relevant smartphone platform), would be able to access it?

• ...so you're saying you want to put the data from the NAS service directory http://www.autism.org.uk/directory.aspx onto a map, so that people can see the relative location of things?

Couldn't we just ask the NAS to insert a Google map mashup into their existing service directory, so that anyone with access to the web (even if they don't own the relevant smartphone platform), would be able to access it?

Children
  • The trouble is that the data on the directory isn’t sufficient. It’s all very well if you are “lucky” enough to live in an area where there are services and autistic specific support or friendly places. Many areas of the country just do not have anything on the directory or if there is it’s the wrong age group or service.  I think the idea is more for things not on the directory already. So that if we find something/somewhere that is autism friendly it can be added to the app. For example the little local quiet cafe or the quieter evening dimmed lighting swim etc if each one of us could add two or three things up and down the country we could cover more postcodes. The quiet cinema events are a great idea but for me they are miles away and just too far to attend. Even Council sports facilities are postcode lottery’s in one area there are more disabled or autism friendly events or sessions and in some they just don’t understand what you are asking for and so there aren’t any. It’s not just noise and lights, it’s sizes of groups or how claustrophobic somewhere is alterations in shops or libraries where shelves are brought closer together or higher mean I’m less likely to go in ..