CAHMS help and advice

Hi everyone, I would really appreciate some advice. My daughter is 8 and has ASD, she’s very complex and non verbal. Over the past 12 months she has developed crippling anxiety/panic/OCD/self harm, no triggers and no reason for attacks.

She has been referred to CAHMS, at initial therapist appointment told she needed urgent Psychiatrist appointment (within 4 weeks), 3 months later (and her condition deteriorating) still not seen, I’ve been plaguing them will calls and they trying to fob me off with a therapist again. Her LD nurse is helping but they just told her ‘they would look into her case’

im so mad - my daughter needs help. Do you think there’s a benefit in seeing a private and well respected child psychiatrist I have sourced privately? I just don’t want to to be a detriment for her to be stepping on CAHMS toes so to speak?

Any help appreciated x

• Hi Helen

Just a bit of a curve ball idea here but I am wondering if it is worth taking up their suggestion of seeing a therapist again as a stepping stone - once you are in the room with them and talking about all the developments they will escalate the treatment.  Particularly worrying with self harm I'm sure - emphasis this has developed and tell them straight out it is getting worse and they will most likely realise your daughter needs urgent help.

x

• Hi ,
    I'm sorry to hear about the situation that your family is currently going through. It may be of benefit to you to contact the team at our autism helpline. You can call them on 0808 800 4104 (Monday to Thursday 10am to 4pm, Friday 9am to 3pm), although please note that the Helpline is experiencing increasingly high demand, and you may not reach them straight away.

Please see the following link for further information:

http://www.autism.org.uk/services/helplines/main.aspx

Additionally, it may be worth visiting the Young Minds website https://youngminds.org.uk/.
    Best wishes,

Nellie-Mod
  • Did they put the need for urgent psychiatrist appointment in writing? Just thinking that might be useful to have if you choose ti raise a complaint later over the delays. I know from the news that CAMHS are very stretched but they shouldnt be fobbing you off. Have they even given you a date for the psychiatrist?

As to going private. I am not sure which way best to go. I don not think it will necessarily jeopardise NHS treatment. I just don't think you should have to pay since they gave acknowledged a need.

goung back to the earlier point to complaining, sometimes that can work if you get in touch with someone senior over the team. Again helps if you have things in writing that they have said. Writing to the chief exec will get you listened to and they are obliged to take you seriously. if  you don't even have an appointment date there must be something going wrong.