Covid Lockdown

Hi,

I was wondering what people's experiences were during lockdown and whether this affected autistic individuals more so the neurotypical peers?

Thanks Slight smile

Parents
  • I had a good lockdown, apart from the hassle of having to go food shopping and there being so little in the shops, I enjoyed the peace and quiet, the island was so empty of people, all the campervan people had to leave and the caravan sites close. There was so little traffic, people were friendlier to their neighbours. There were a few who were nasty and got on my nerves, I thought I was going to be physically attacked once, because I was giving my dog her off lead training, she ran up to these people and this bloke went mental and got right in my face, he was quite a big muscular bloke too and I wondered if I was going to have to use my long unused martial arts skills to get away from him, I didn't, but it did make me nervous.

Things got bad though when England relaxed its rules before we did in Wales, it was horrible, people were terrible, the police were on the roads leading into Wales, stopping tourists comming, then the tourists started trying to send thier luggage via couriers so they could claim they were just going out. The attitude of those that got here towards locals was awful, we were told that the rules here didn't apply to them as they were English and the rules only applied to Welsh people and residents. It caused so much resentment and an upsurge of people wanting independence.

But on the whole it seems a golden time, even though I did miss the library and garden centres, lol.

• I agree people were more friendly. I also remember listening on the news to what was happening in Wales and wishing we lived there as they seemed more cautious.

• I watched as covid crept north and west, it didn't arrive here until much later than further south and east, so we were a bit behind the curve and of course Westminster only considered southern England. When people started coming here for holidays the number of cases really increased. We had to stay masked for longer too, I don't know if being masked made that much difference, but of course the visitors didn't stick to it and were really rude to those of us who did.

• Irish, my first reaction when reading your post was to post a very rude reply, now having thought about it for a few momments I will post a slightly less rude one.

I think your post is somewhat over done and you're letting your obession with military rule get away with you. We have a Labour run government in Wales and have for years, people with things like COPD could wear visors and they were sold on normal shops alongside masks and nobody batted an eyelid. There was nor were there any plans for people not being allowed outside or in their gardens. Seeing as we don't have compulsory ID cards in this country or any other part of the UK, then how could any be checked?

I don't share your concerns about vaccines, I think they're a good thing, bu then I'm old enough to remember at least 1 child in every school year wearing built up shoes and calipers after getting polio, a friend lost a class mate to diptheria, I had mumps, measles and chicken pox all were horrible I was off school with measles when they were vaccinating everyone else. When I was a child there were no vaccines against mumps or chicken pox, I was very ill with measles and wouldn't want to see anyone let alone a child suffer like I did. Girls are routinely vaccinated against German measles as it can harm an unborn baby in the womb if the mother gets it. I was happy to have a covid vaccine, when I finally got them after being refused because of my many allergies. If Mpox becomes a pandemic I will happily be vaccinated against that too.

I think people need to get a grip about vaccines and think about what life was like not that long ago, certainly within living memory when vaccines were literal life savers, I don't think we really want to go back to higher rates of infant and child mortality for things that can easily be prevented. I think fears about vaccination are a very first world problem, in many parts of the world where they see the effects of diptheria and polio on a daily basis, parents would give their right arms to have their children vaccinated.

• I often thought about this and about how Covid rules and restrictions were being implemented under the Tories in the U.K. at the time compared to other countries, given also what Labour had been saying in opposition at the time and what they were directing to have happened in local council areas that they controlled, where they often went well beyond what the Tories wanted, especially in the area of the enforcement of these rules and later on with the vaccines - I could easily imagine that had Labour been in government at the time, there would have been far stricter and far greater restrictions, with far more enforcement and far more severe penalties for non-compliance where no exceptions for not wearing masks would have been accepted under any circumstances for example, children would have not been allowed go outside into front or back gardens at all to play during that hot summer of 2020, especially with council houses, people would not have been allowed to go to public parks to “exercise” as these would have been closed off and guarded by armed police and Military who would have enforced these restrictions in a much more forceful and aggressive way - the streets, shops and supermarkets would have been patrolled by armed police and milltary checking ID’s and checking for any breaches of the rules and with the vaccines, police milltary and NHS would have been sent round to carry out mandatory and/or forced vaccinations if any refusals were encountered - now that Labour is in power and with the upcoming mpox pandemic, I suspect that all of the above could become a distinct possibility, given their response to the recent riots 

• I often thought about this and about how Covid rules and restrictions were being implemented under the Tories in the U.K. at the time compared to other countries, given also what Labour had been saying in opposition at the time and what they were directing to have happened in local council areas that they controlled, where they often went well beyond what the Tories wanted, especially in the area of the enforcement of these rules and later on with the vaccines - I could easily imagine that had Labour been in government at the time, there would have been far stricter and far greater restrictions, with far more enforcement and far more severe penalties for non-compliance where no exceptions for not wearing masks would have been accepted under any circumstances for example, children would have not been allowed go outside into front or back gardens at all to play during that hot summer of 2020, especially with council houses, people would not have been allowed to go to public parks to “exercise” as these would have been closed off and guarded by armed police and Military who would have enforced these restrictions in a much more forceful and aggressive way - the streets, shops and supermarkets would have been patrolled by armed police and milltary checking ID’s and checking for any breaches of the rules and with the vaccines, police milltary and NHS would have been sent round to carry out mandatory and/or forced vaccinations if any refusals were encountered - now that Labour is in power and with the upcoming mpox pandemic, I suspect that all of the above could become a distinct possibility, given their response to the recent riots 

Children
  • Irish, my first reaction when reading your post was to post a very rude reply, now having thought about it for a few momments I will post a slightly less rude one.

I think your post is somewhat over done and you're letting your obession with military rule get away with you. We have a Labour run government in Wales and have for years, people with things like COPD could wear visors and they were sold on normal shops alongside masks and nobody batted an eyelid. There was nor were there any plans for people not being allowed outside or in their gardens. Seeing as we don't have compulsory ID cards in this country or any other part of the UK, then how could any be checked?

I don't share your concerns about vaccines, I think they're a good thing, bu then I'm old enough to remember at least 1 child in every school year wearing built up shoes and calipers after getting polio, a friend lost a class mate to diptheria, I had mumps, measles and chicken pox all were horrible I was off school with measles when they were vaccinating everyone else. When I was a child there were no vaccines against mumps or chicken pox, I was very ill with measles and wouldn't want to see anyone let alone a child suffer like I did. Girls are routinely vaccinated against German measles as it can harm an unborn baby in the womb if the mother gets it. I was happy to have a covid vaccine, when I finally got them after being refused because of my many allergies. If Mpox becomes a pandemic I will happily be vaccinated against that too.

I think people need to get a grip about vaccines and think about what life was like not that long ago, certainly within living memory when vaccines were literal life savers, I don't think we really want to go back to higher rates of infant and child mortality for things that can easily be prevented. I think fears about vaccination are a very first world problem, in many parts of the world where they see the effects of diptheria and polio on a daily basis, parents would give their right arms to have their children vaccinated.