Struggling to multi-task

I wish I were automatically able to multi-task without having to struggle at it - even though multi-tasking is something that is not possible for those on the autism spectrum. I also wish people would stop with the lack of empathy! I just wish my parents would stop accusing me of making excuses for myself when I clearly find myself becoming overwhelmed as a result of sensory overload. It's not that I don't use my brain OR that my head isn't screwed on properly. Having an autistic brain means that I struggle to get my fragile brain to work the same way as that of a neurotypical. I try to think before carrying out any type of task - I only end up going into sensory overload followed by meltdowns/shutdowns. I don’t get why life is so meaningless and unpleasant for someone with my mental condition. 

I don't expect to be able to cope when I start living on my own - I see myself being unable to cope with life. I'm not even keen on living in any house or apartment, I am considering looking at residential mental health care facilities for autistic adults until I get referred for mental health support and provided with a special needs mental health team. 

• Going with the flow is all well and good when you've only yourelf to please, when you've got others to sort out, children, animals, a job and household stuff, then going with the flow will mean flowing into meltdown.

• I wish I were automatically able to multi-task without having to struggle at it

This is a very common autistic trait but the flip side is that we tend to be good at focussing on one task to completion.

There are ways to adapt to be able to multi task to a degree though but it is worth considering that you need to adjust your expectations and techniques to play to your strength.

My approach is that it is best to take a task that needs multiple things doing and break it into smaller tasks. Create a checklist for these (either mental or written) and work on them one at a time. If any are time driven (eg banking a cake as TheCatWoman said) then setting the timer should be there alongside the "put it in the oven" task.

Using lists can enable you to control a lot more stuff at the same time but it isn't the same a s multi tasking, but can reach the same goal.

One approach can be to keep a book with most of your common multi step things to do in it and copy out / print out the ones you need for that day. Work through them and the sense of acomplishment can build confidence over time and eventually you may not need these as the processes become established in your brain.

I also wish people would stop with the lack of empathy!

I stopped hoping for this a long time ago - some people have it and some don't - personally I treat it as a bonus but if I'm not expecting it then I'm never dissapointed. It is also - ironically - a common autistic trait to not have empathy.

I don’t get why life is so meaningless and unpleasant for someone with my mental condition. 

It may be little consolation but I know plenty of neurotypicals who have similar existential crises over different things. It is a very human struggle you are experiencing so in many ways you have more in common with "normals" than you realise.

Taking back some kind of control over the small stuff is where to start in my opinion. See what works for you and build from there and step by step you are creating ways to improve your life.

We are here if you want to share your struggles, successes or just to ask for advice.

• It's not true that autistic people can't multi-task, I'm a very good multi-tasker and I'm definately autistic. Multi-tasking is about time management, fitting things in between the spaces of other things. For example, if you make a cake, there's about 45 mins or so whilst its in the oven baking, that is not lost time, its time enough to wash up and clean down the kitchen and start a shopping list to replace anything you're running low on, so as next time you bake a cake all the ingredients are there to do so and you'll have enought cleaning stuff too. So cake made, kitchen cleaned up, shopping list created, all in just over an hour, not so difficult is it?

• You can't force Yourself to multi-task.
    Take the "pressure" off Yourself and just go with the flow...
    You will relax and feel much better.