Trying to find my place in the spectrum

My therapist said that I should spend time in the autistic community to get a better sense of myself as an autistic person so I can work out what is anxiety and what is autism (so I know what to bother trying to fix). I find this very hard because it's a spectrum so therefore we are all different. So how are any of us supposed to be able to define what is our autism and what's not? How are we supposed to be able to draw a metaphorical box around which bits we shouldn't waste time trying to fix? Not sure what I'm asking, but any thoughts would be appreciated.

Parents
  • So I’ll help you answer your questions. Autism is a neurodevelopmental condition in which you perceive the world slightly differently. It appears to be caused by genetics. It is broad in its spectrum and is categorised by differing severities. Autistic individuals are withdrawn socially and follow strict patterns created by their minds which follow rhythmic waves of rigidity and false ideation. It is somewhat common for autistic people to copy others in an attempt to try and fit in socially. Anxiety is a condition in which the sufferer experiences a state of distress or panic towards things which wouldn’t normally bother the average person. For example autsitic people 9 times out of 10 have what we would call social anxiety or social phobia. They have an intense fear of social situations. There could be a number of explanations for this but we simply don’t know yet. For example many scientists have thought that autistic people are too inhibited I.e. they don’t have enough gaba the chemical which makes us relaxed and talkative. However there is no definitive evidence to back up this claim. Autistic people are only more inhibited in social situations only. They are perfectly uninhibited and naturally animated when they are alone or with objects or animals rather than other human beings. This very fact disproves that autistic people are too inhibited. As if this was the case they would surely be similarly quiet and shy even when alone. I am confirming right now that when I am alone I am a normal person by every definition it is only when I am amongst other humans that my behaviour noticeably changes to become more withdrawn etc. I cannot explain this phenomena as it is the very thing that defines autism and makes it so incredibly unique and fascinating. You will not find one person who can explain this. I have looked for years and years scouring scientific papers and not one person can claim they have the explanation for this. It’s anybody’s guess. 

• So I’ll help you answer your questions. Autism is a neurodevelopmental condition in which you perceive the world slightly differently. It appears to be caused by genetics. It is broad in its spectrum and is categorised by differing severities. Autistic individuals are withdrawn socially and follow strict patterns created by their minds which follow rhythmic waves of rigidity and false ideation. It is somewhat common for autistic people to copy others in an attempt to try and fit in socially. Anxiety is a condition in which the sufferer experiences a state of distress or panic towards things which wouldn’t normally bother the average person. For example autsitic people 9 times out of 10 have what we would call social anxiety or social phobia. They have an intense fear of social situations. There could be a number of explanations for this but we simply don’t know yet. For example many scientists have thought that autistic people are too inhibited I.e. they don’t have enough gaba the chemical which makes us relaxed and talkative. However there is no definitive evidence to back up this claim. Autistic people are only more inhibited in social situations only. They are perfectly uninhibited and naturally animated when they are alone or with objects or animals rather than other human beings. This very fact disproves that autistic people are too inhibited. As if this was the case they would surely be similarly quiet and shy even when alone. I am confirming right now that when I am alone I am a normal person by every definition it is only when I am amongst other humans that my behaviour noticeably changes to become more withdrawn etc. I cannot explain this phenomena as it is the very thing that defines autism and makes it so incredibly unique and fascinating. You will not find one person who can explain this. I have looked for years and years scouring scientific papers and not one person can claim they have the explanation for this. It’s anybody’s guess. 

Children
  • For example many scientists have thought that autistic people are too inhibited I.e. they don’t have enough gaba the chemical which makes us relaxed and talkative. However there is no definitive evidence to back up this claim.

GABA is not responsible for making one talkative. But it is responsible for giving messages to out of control brain waves to settle down or aiding sleep. When researchers refer to Inhibition or Inhibitors, this is an internal system responsible for the gut, connected to immune system, responsible for pruning during development and limiting, resisting, and supporting filtering in the Salience Network. Now, how that becomes animated in the context of one's personality and being will be different for everyone. But Inhibition is an internal mechanism like a little police squad in your biology. 

In short, due to design, all the research is supporting that Autistics are vulnerable to far more stress-induced-anxiety than others. 

There is a great deal of medical evidence on this AND it also appears to be an evolutionary advantage in the right setting, the right time in history. However, in this modern western world we live in, and depending how you spend your days and who with, one can be pushed beyond the ability to cope due to the non-Autistic an non-ADHD biological ability to desensitise. 

Anxiety is Fight/Flight response. And while NT individuals might experience imaginary social driven anxiety, Autistics will have trouble filtering out and can experience sensory overload or sensory assault daily.

How one can fix this is complex, but I'd start by identifying things causing stress. Social stress may be partly due to miscommunication. But if you can take control of your surroundings and make them less irritating, that's a start.