Prevented from pursuing special interests?

Has anyone ever experienced something that has prevented you from pursuing your special interests? 

I have found that depression and overwhelm/sensory & cognitive overload stemming from becoming a parent and also having extreme relationship issues, has made me lose interest in absolutely everything. If I am having a good day I might listen to one of my favourite bands or artists but it soon wears off.

I'm wondering, have you ever had a period of time when you've completely stopped pursuing any of your special interests? I used to be extremely interested in learning anything and everything about human nature - psychology, philosophy, culture, etc. Now I feel like my sense of wonder has been shattered, maybe by too much reality/demands on the part of the brain that controls practical, in-the-moment decision-making, at the expense of higher order thinking?

I also have severe memory issues, whereas previously I had a good memory for information. 

Sorry not trying to be a downer, genuine question. I'm undiagnosed so I wonder if I can be truly autistic if my special interests are on the back burner. 

Parents Reply Children