Should I feel guilty for being on universal credit

Hello. This is my first time posting on this site so hope it goes well. 

So, for context, I've been living most of my life with ASD and I managed to slog along and graduate from uni in Cyber Security. Before I went to uni, my family moved to the Forest of Dean, in a house in the middle of nowhere (the type of place that makes it hard to travel without a car) and ever since graduating, I've had to move back here to find post-graduate work.

I've applied for almost 100 post graduate jobs, and despite getting very close after a couple of interviews, I'm still not employed. The reason is usually due to a candidate being more qualified, due to the fact that I had a hard time doing an internship during university, and have no practical experience in the working world. I also tried applying for some part time work based on things I did part time during uni (bar / hotel work), etc and again, no dice. I don't know why it's waay harder to find work that I've already done, but there you go.

So I decided to take out universal credit; I know I sound like a scrounger, but at this point, I don't really care. I have been applying for jobs pretty much every day (including basic admin work) and no luck, though my work coach says that I have been putting the effort in and then some.  I need to have some leisure, in order to not get cabin fever in this house and everything is so expensive these days. I've even had to fork out some money on hotels, due to trains constantly being cancelled (the railway line that takes me to  where I live is prone to landslides).

To avoid any stigma surrounding this, any advice would be appreciated. Thanks for reading.

• Hope you got that on your C.V. 

You should be able to perform a data security AUDIT with what you know. Maybe you could advertse that aprticualr service with local businesses and charge them for a single visit. 

If your audit reveals issues, then of course there is fllow on business for you to either do yourself on a cost per basis or refer them elsewhere for. 

But if you do try something like that DO NOT go "official" straight away, no matter who advises you otherwise.

You have a tax code which effectively indicates how much you can earn in a year without being liable for tax, and until you are about to breach it you effectvely have a "hobby" and not a business. IF however you hit the floor running, then of course you'll need to do all that stuff, BUT if you do all that registration stuff first, and your business does not take off, life can get very complicated, very slowly at first, then all at once.. 

This is of course somewhat contentious advice, and might seem like I'm advising you to break the rules but as far as I can determine, if you are keeping track of your money,and have no intent to avoid paying tax IF you hobby turns into a businessi, t's a "It's better to ask forgiveness than ask permission" sort of thing.  

I had three small sole trader things that never made me any real money before I finally found myself with a real viable business that was worth registering etc. Then I started a "limited company" and did things properly because it was worth it. 

• No, Capture the Flag encompasses ethical hacking exercises. Basically breaking into webpages, decrypting messages, analysing network traffic, etc.

• Is CTF anything like paintball?

I do recommend paintball for those days when shooting people is an attractive proposition... 

I'm not a fan of real warfare, it's all  bit too permanent, (a dead enemy can't hear you laughing at them) but paintball can be FUN.

• Haha, thanks for the advice. I do agree that my practical experience is somewhat lacking; that's why I'm applying for more menial jobs to start off with (admin, data entry, etc).

FWIW, I have taken part in a couple of Capture the Flag (CTF) exercises at uni, hosted by BAE Systems (who I'm not a fan of due to thier war profiteering, but hey-ho, still good experience). My team actually won first place in one of these sessions. It was probably the only good thing that my uni course actually did (it was such a dead course, COVID seriously ruined everything).

• You have cyber security skills!

But no experience yet. So find a cycber security project of your own and do it!

When I was a contractor I decided to get ISDN a precursor to Broadband.

Getting it to work required me to acquire and program a cisco router, but my god it went down well with employers!

They really like people who CAN do. 

A few years ago I found myself scrunched up inside the fuselage of a Gloster Meteor jet aircraft, working on the starter system, and I paused to ask myslef how did I get here? I'm not formally trained in aircraft AT ALL.

I'd walked into a hangar 3 years previously and asked for a menial job, because frankly my own aircraft was giving me trouble, and I wanted to learn a bit. As soon as they observed that I CAN DO, I was never short of teh work again, (Until by 2016 I'd had enough, it was not giving me what I needed, I did not make any friends, and the money and conditions were pretty rubbish. 

Although the general public have not realised it yet, there is a huge requirement for a personal internet gateway machine, like wireshark but a bit simpler to implement, that can be connected to the etehrnet part of your router on one side and will support an access point on the other side and which will record your internet sessions, (and for advanced users allow the blocking of  certain conversations, that your O/S or other malware might be initiating). Not so much a firewall, but a resource that will allow the users to KNOW what conversations and with whom their computers are having them.

I suspect for example that every time I open a picture on this machine it first sends a copy somewhere, as my internet seems to spike and I have to wait an inordinate amount of time tfor teh fiel to open compared to any previous machine I have had. I'd very much like to be able to confirm if this is true and, more importantly, sever that link if there is one..

Just an idea of course, but there must be something you can achieve and stick on your C.V.

But until that happens then don't feel bad about getting unversal credit.

Whatever you don't take will be used to support the war in the east, or the ongoing replacement of our indigenous population..

Both of which, most people seem to think is a really good idea, for some reason... 

• Just a little I’d say..Sweat smile

• I've got a very strong CV and my previous feedback often doesn't mention poor interview skills. Here's an example of a rejection email I've gotten (from an actual person, not automated):

"Overall the feedback on your interview was very positive, but unfortunately they have decided to go with the other candidate who interviewed as they had some more relevant experience to their specific projects/technologies."

I think my biggest ***-up was not doing any internships during uni, but I found it incredibly difficult to find one, especially since it was after COVID and many companies were hiring less people.

• What do you mean by this? Are council staff being overpaid?

• No you’re not friend, get right with yourself first, the rest of the world can wait as long as it seems right to you..

The world will have a right to comment on your discouragement, when bankrupt local authorities stop giving dozens (if not hundreds) of staff, who have worked for one year £400k pensions and £100k< redundancies..

It sounds like you are putting in a heroic effort..Innocent

• depends on the perspective...

there is a certain perspective were we must be guilty of everything, because every breath we take is a breath that many others cannot take.

in that perspective though, nothing matters anyway, taking universal credit doesnt matter and is one of the least things to feel guilty of as every breath you take that another cannot is a thing to feel far more guilty of in reality. and yet thats so passive and unthought and uncared of. taken for granted. universal credit is not much to be ashamed of compared to even just regular every day breathing. 

• No. Unapologetic-ally so.

The universe is endlessly abundant.

It allows for everything.

It's up to you, and what you want.

Stigma is in the eye of the beholder. You can ignore it.

It is simply someone counting someone else's money which is a silly pastime.

Read "The Secret".

• For a long time my work was very low paid and I could have claimed Universal Credit but I didn't look into it due to similar feelings like I was taking it away from someone else. There are the haves and the have nots. If you have not, you shouldn't feel guilt about claiming support. If you don't have enough to get by comfortably and live life, you also shouldn't feel guilty for taking support. If you have loads and take take take and avoid paying tax and act like a greedy dragon, that's a different issue. But saving a little cushion for the times with no money is also nothing to be ashamed of. 

Try to be kind to yourself. I'm glad you're recognising your needs for leisure. It sounds like you're doing everything you can on the employment front. I hope your work coach is also guiding you toward support to help you in your efforts.

• Don't feel guilty, UC is there for people who can't get work or are unable to work. Do you have a support worker for UC? If so they should be able to help you find the appropriate help with things like interviews and how to do a CV, etc.

• I can't say for sure if it is definitely my interview skills. I do sometimes stumble or forget certain points, but that happens to everyone, regardless. Most of the time, the feedback consists of finding someone more "suited to the role".

• You don’t have anything to feel guilty about but I can understand that feeling. You are obviously making an effort, which is what counts. Do you think your interview skills might be holding you back? It’s something I have struggled with myself.