Anxiety and Loneliness

Hi I'm a 32 year old with ASD and I'm writing a discussion in this forum because I feel I need help and advice.

For the past while I've been feeling lonely and lately this has caused me anxiety. Like many I've always found it difficult to make and maintain friendships and I've also been having feelings of despair ie that there aren't many people to make friends with. When I hear of other people ASD or non ASD having romantic relationships or getting married I keep thinking that those people are luckier than me and that they will be able to be supported. For me this doesn't seem likely and sometimes it makes me feel worse off than others or even rejected as I fear that people who are in such relationships will not have time for me. I feel I need someone in my life who could be a mentor to me and give me encouragement to help me do the things I want to do. I'd like to be able to view my autism as a superpower as opposed to viewing it as an obstacle in my life. I feel that reaching out and trying to do something about this is the right thing to do.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Parents
  • Hi Dan I'm in my 30s and feel similar to you. I think the problem is we're the minority in society but we're generally only have a genuine good relationship with people who are also on the spectrum. Like I can speak to neurotpicals but I don't feel the connection the same to someone who is neurodivergent and I think it's probably mutual on their end. Maybe we're just all hiding away from society or our routines leads us to be our at opposite times. Sorry I can't really give any advice as I came on here for similar support but just wanted you to know your not alone in this.

• Hi Dan I'm in my 30s and feel similar to you. I think the problem is we're the minority in society but we're generally only have a genuine good relationship with people who are also on the spectrum. Like I can speak to neurotpicals but I don't feel the connection the same to someone who is neurodivergent and I think it's probably mutual on their end. Maybe we're just all hiding away from society or our routines leads us to be our at opposite times. Sorry I can't really give any advice as I came on here for similar support but just wanted you to know your not alone in this.

Children
No Data