Trigger warning: Girl gets arrested, seemingly for being Autistic in a built up area.

Firstly: As the (annoying) commentry indicates we don't know all the facts here.

Secondly: It's a "zero hedge" article featuring PJW, so will be utter anathema to some people.

Thirdly: It's morbidly interesting, and somewhat thought provoking.

https://www.zerohedge.com/political/arrested-saying-lesbian

Parents
  • I'm still confused about what really happened or how the situation could have been handled.

1. The police were first involved in taking the drunken girl home from the city centre.  Why?  I thought the police were  no longer getting involved in mental health issues.
    2. Why was the mother allowed to film the encounter on her mobile phone?  Any competent police person would have confiscated her phone and deleted the incriminating video.
  • I'm still confused about what really happened or how the situation could have been handled.

1. The police were first involved in taking the drunken girl home from the city centre.  Why?  I thought the police were  no longer getting involved in mental health issues.
    2. Why was the mother allowed to film the encounter on her mobile phone?  Any competent police person would have confiscated her phone and deleted the incriminating video.
Children
  • Confiscated the phone? Under what authority?  We are not yet a total police state.

• Evidently they don’t consider drunken disorderly to be a mental health issue.

and seizing property without a lawful basis is a serious infraction for the police.

and even if they seize it deleting the video may simply not be possible if the phone is locked before they get a hold of it tthey have to take the defendant down to the station and threaten them with prosecution if they didn’t unlock the phone.

• The police were first involved in taking the drunken girl home from the city centre.  Why?  I thought the police were  no longer getting involved in mental health issues.

I thought this as well. 

• I do not think that police officers lawfully can take possessions off people who are not committing any offence, as they would be either committing theft, or criminal damage, depending on whether or not they kept the phone for any length of time.