Are there any antidepressants that don't make you feel like ***? (sensitivity to side effects)

Please fucking help. I've been on Citalopram 10mg and that made me really sick and even more suicidal. I've been prescribed Fluoxetine recently which has scary side effects still, but is it more likely to make me worse because of its sensitivity? The sexual side effects are scariest, then nausea and vomiting is second. 

Parents
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 1 year ago

Hi Jakey,

Sorry to hear you're going through a tough time and experiencing these horrible side effects.

If you are unable to cope with the distress or despair, it’s very important to tell someone about your feelings or thoughts of suicide. Call your GP and make an urgent appointment. Your GP can make sure you get appropriate help and support.

If it’s outside your GP hours call  111 to reach the NHS 111 service: 

https://www.nhs.uk/nhs-services/urgent-and-emergency-care-services/when-to-use-111/

The Samaritans also provide confidential non-judgemental emotional support, 24 hours a day on 116 123, or by email on jo@samaritans.org.

MIND have information pages on coping with self harm or suicidal feelings based on the experiences of people who’ve been through it that you may find helpful. 

If you are very close to doing something to hurt yourself - call 999 now or go to your nearest A&E department. There should be someone there to support you and make sure you get ongoing support.

You can find more information here: 

https://www.autism.org.uk/advice-and-guidance/topics/mental-health/suicide 

Best wishes,

Kevin Mod

• None of those services help. Stop suggesting them please, it's harming mental health. 

• Jakey, I truly get that, but try to cut people some slack. Most of us in this thread are trying to be helpful, and Kevin does come up with good links form time to time.

Can I ask you, what do YOU think would be most helpful to you? In the short term and in the long term?

• Jakey, I agree. Only everyone here is anonymous. We are not allowed to use our real names, so we cannot respond in real time.

There are probably dozens of people on here who have had training ranging from Mental Health First Aid to fully qualified counsellors and psychotherapists ... but the rules of this forum prevent them from sharing their details, or you sharing yours.All anyone here can do is sympathise/empathise and suggest someone in the "real world" who you can talk to, and hope that works.

As we do not know who or where you are, all we can do is offer a generic national service like the Samaritans or NHS111.  I hope you also have details of your local mental health team and their out of hours services, and that you find a support system that works for you. It is not about "looking good" it about trying to be helpful and supportive.

• it was the first line of a post I made up thread (Which I wonder if you've actually been able to see, as this site makes it easy to not see some posts, if you use it how I do.

To "warm to someone" is to begin to like some aspect about them. In this case of course, i admire your ability to be a bit skeptical about MHS and the NHS in general.Plus I note the fact that you seem to have tried a lot of things already, and are looking to find something that works.

Simply making an effort to work a problem, rather than "complaining or blaming" is more than halfway to winning the battle...

• Hang in there. Take it one day at a time Jakey. Enjoy the good days and on the bad remember that another good day is just round the corner. X

• Thanks. I appreciate everyone's input though. It's hard when I'm in the wrong mood, I can acknowledge more positives today than I usually can. I acted different for ***** sake. I wish I could be like this all the time. I'm nuts. I've nuts. 

[Edited by Moderator]

• I'm relieved to hear today has been better :) I am signing off now but my moderator colleague will be online tomorrow - Also, I'll message our team leader as well so they can reach out to you in private as well.

As you've seen from the responses to your first post, this community can offer a lot of warm and knowledgeable support in times like these, so stay strong and reach out here when ever you need.

Best,

SarahMod

• I feel a lot better, best I've ever been today as I'm in a WhatsApp group for autists worldwide. 

I'll probably need some help later because apparently if the citalopram is still having side effects, I'll need someone to talk to in those dark moments. 

• I'm not sure what you mean by that quote? 

• Hi Jakey - sorry to read how distressed you have been these last couple of days, I've been there too. How have you been today? I can refer you to our team leader to contact if you feel your in need of that today? I'll be online for the next hour so let me know what you think Slight smile

• I'm really starting to warm to you Jakey.

Just out of curiosity, did you read the post I made up thread that starts with that quote?

I'm genuinely curious as to how you found that one...

Your last line resonates strongly, and is indeed a good reason to keep going. 

• I've been given those links, hundreds of times, people only use it to look like a good guy. 

I'm of the belief that we have to help each other in order to help ourselves. Short term and long term help come from that. My advice to people, comes from the heart. If I found someone who was suicidal, I'd do my best to pick at that to get to the source, and address the source. Not give them a useless number/email they probably won't use anyway then call it a day. And everyone's different, the numbers/emails aren't a one size fits all solution. I mean all that in the nicest way possible, and I was really pissed off, having a meltdown over it because this isn't what helps me. Unorthodoxy is my middle name I think. 

I've had to refute my reasons to not live many times, I only realized a few years back why I should live. It's to help others, and bring kindness to a very unkind planet.  

• I've been given those links, hundreds of times, people only use it to look like a good guy. 

I'm of the belief that we have to help each other in order to help ourselves. Short term and long term help come from that. My advice to people, comes from the heart. If I found someone who was suicidal, I'd do my best to pick at that to get to the source, and address the source. Not give them a useless number/email they probably won't use anyway then call it a day. And everyone's different, the numbers/emails aren't a one size fits all solution. I mean all that in the nicest way possible, and I was really pissed off, having a meltdown over it because this isn't what helps me. Unorthodoxy is my middle name I think. 

I've had to refute my reasons to not live many times, I only realized a few years back why I should live. It's to help others, and bring kindness to a very unkind planet.  

Children
  • Jakey, I agree. Only everyone here is anonymous. We are not allowed to use our real names, so we cannot respond in real time.

There are probably dozens of people on here who have had training ranging from Mental Health First Aid to fully qualified counsellors and psychotherapists ... but the rules of this forum prevent them from sharing their details, or you sharing yours.All anyone here can do is sympathise/empathise and suggest someone in the "real world" who you can talk to, and hope that works.

As we do not know who or where you are, all we can do is offer a generic national service like the Samaritans or NHS111.  I hope you also have details of your local mental health team and their out of hours services, and that you find a support system that works for you. It is not about "looking good" it about trying to be helpful and supportive.

• it was the first line of a post I made up thread (Which I wonder if you've actually been able to see, as this site makes it easy to not see some posts, if you use it how I do.

To "warm to someone" is to begin to like some aspect about them. In this case of course, i admire your ability to be a bit skeptical about MHS and the NHS in general.Plus I note the fact that you seem to have tried a lot of things already, and are looking to find something that works.

Simply making an effort to work a problem, rather than "complaining or blaming" is more than halfway to winning the battle...

• Hang in there. Take it one day at a time Jakey. Enjoy the good days and on the bad remember that another good day is just round the corner. X

• Thanks. I appreciate everyone's input though. It's hard when I'm in the wrong mood, I can acknowledge more positives today than I usually can. I acted different for ***** sake. I wish I could be like this all the time. I'm nuts. I've nuts. 

[Edited by Moderator]

• I'm relieved to hear today has been better :) I am signing off now but my moderator colleague will be online tomorrow - Also, I'll message our team leader as well so they can reach out to you in private as well.

As you've seen from the responses to your first post, this community can offer a lot of warm and knowledgeable support in times like these, so stay strong and reach out here when ever you need.

Best,

SarahMod

• I feel a lot better, best I've ever been today as I'm in a WhatsApp group for autists worldwide. 

I'll probably need some help later because apparently if the citalopram is still having side effects, I'll need someone to talk to in those dark moments. 

• I'm not sure what you mean by that quote? 

• Hi Jakey - sorry to read how distressed you have been these last couple of days, I've been there too. How have you been today? I can refer you to our team leader to contact if you feel your in need of that today? I'll be online for the next hour so let me know what you think Slight smile

• I'm really starting to warm to you Jakey.

Just out of curiosity, did you read the post I made up thread that starts with that quote?

I'm genuinely curious as to how you found that one...

Your last line resonates strongly, and is indeed a good reason to keep going.