Are there any antidepressants that don't make you feel like ***? (sensitivity to side effects)

Please fucking help. I've been on Citalopram 10mg and that made me really sick and even more suicidal. I've been prescribed Fluoxetine recently which has scary side effects still, but is it more likely to make me worse because of its sensitivity? The sexual side effects are scariest, then nausea and vomiting is second. 

Parents
  • I went on Citalopram in 2020 and I wasn’t on it very long. Like you, I found the side effects horrific. Nausea, upset stomach, dizziness and the worst was suicidal thoughts and depression. My doctor said I felt side effects more intensely because of my autism and felt Citalopram was a little too much for me so we decided to try me on Sertraline instead, but, she said to snap the pills in half and have half each day until it was in my system. This worked better for me. I had no side effects on Sertraline when I first took them. But eventually I came off them as they were causing me a lot of digestive issues. Since coming off them I am feeling much better again. I feel like medication often is their go-to-option and hope for the best but I personally feel like a talking therapy would be more beneficial than just shoving medication down your throat. I had a therapist on the NHS and because of my struggles going out she used to do phone calls and video calls with me. She helped me immensely, so perhaps you might find the same more helpful than medication.

I also read that you’ve not taken anything for three days, worth noting, it will take a while yet for you to feel better and the side effects to wear off as the drug will still be in your system. When I had bad side effects from the Citalopram by doctor said it would take a week or two before I felt better.

I hope you’re ok and doing much better today. Take care.

• I went on Citalopram in 2020 and I wasn’t on it very long. Like you, I found the side effects horrific. Nausea, upset stomach, dizziness and the worst was suicidal thoughts and depression. My doctor said I felt side effects more intensely because of my autism and felt Citalopram was a little too much for me so we decided to try me on Sertraline instead, but, she said to snap the pills in half and have half each day until it was in my system. This worked better for me. I had no side effects on Sertraline when I first took them. But eventually I came off them as they were causing me a lot of digestive issues. Since coming off them I am feeling much better again. I feel like medication often is their go-to-option and hope for the best but I personally feel like a talking therapy would be more beneficial than just shoving medication down your throat. I had a therapist on the NHS and because of my struggles going out she used to do phone calls and video calls with me. She helped me immensely, so perhaps you might find the same more helpful than medication.

I also read that you’ve not taken anything for three days, worth noting, it will take a while yet for you to feel better and the side effects to wear off as the drug will still be in your system. When I had bad side effects from the Citalopram by doctor said it would take a week or two before I felt better.

I hope you’re ok and doing much better today. Take care.

Children
No Data