Do antidepressants work?

I have struggled with depression for at least 5 years and only more recently diagnosed as autistic. I’ve been on two different antidepressants- Sertraline and citalopram- and I’m not sure if I can even tell anymore if I feel any better.

I’ve been told that I’ve most likely been in a state of burnout for a long time so i now don’t know if autism is the root cause of all the depression I’ve felt ( I know it has definitely contributed) so would antidepressants just not work in this situation? Or am I just finding it harder to tell if I’m doing better because I can’t identify may own emotions as easily? I know that I don’t feel ‘happy’ or stable yet but I can tell if my mood has improved at all because I feel like my depression has caused so much brain fog.

has anyone had similar experience ?

Parents
  • ive never taken them but i have been tempted to go to the gp a few times and ask but id rather not as the glaring thing putting me off is the side effects.... i saw a super model really  good looking woman take antidepressants and in just 1 week she gained like 10 stone of weight and ruined her life off them... yeah im not touching that stuff lol

vodka works to make me feel normal, but depression i have no answer for.

• ive never taken them but i have been tempted to go to the gp a few times and ask but id rather not as the glaring thing putting me off is the side effects.... i saw a super model really  good looking woman take antidepressants and in just 1 week she gained like 10 stone of weight and ruined her life off them... yeah im not touching that stuff lol

vodka works to make me feel normal, but depression i have no answer for.

Children
No Data