Depression and anxiety

I've been struggling lately. Maybe it's because it's cold and dark most days, will I brighten up when the weather does? I've had depression and anxiety for ages. Both cause difficulties in my every day life, nothing serious but a big hassle I could do without. 

I've grown increasingly concerned about my mum who is mid fifties and growing increasingly forgetful, forgetting shopping, names and repeating stuff to me she told me earlier on. Bit of a worry. Her mum had Alzheimer's and I'm worried she's going the same way. I'm no longer involved in with the mental health team but I'm increasingly tempted to get in touch so I can get help with the increasing pressure. I'm ok, I'm keeping busy, but it feels like I'm starting to crash and burn and I can't get the worry off my mind. I'm up all night, can't sleep, and my pain from fibromyalgia has increased likely from the anxiety. So I need to see the GP about that, need my medicine altered. I could mention my other worries to her but GP visits aren't my fave place so I try and get in and out within twenty mins.

Parents
  • Forgetfulness can also be a symptom of menopause. My mother was worried about it too as it was happening to her but it seems to have gotten better as time has gone on. 

Actually that reminds me of something my mother told me: Years ago a woman my mother worked with suddenly burst into tears in front of her and said she was terrified she was getting alzheimers because she couldn't stop forgetting things like people's names and picking her child up from school etc. My mother comforted her as best she could and advised her to go to the doctor. A while later she told my mother she had been to the doctor and it turned out to be a symptom of menopause and it had improved when her GP prescribed HRT - she was so relieved!

Obviously I don't know your mother's situation and I can completely understand and relate to your worries about dementia as I worry a lot about these things too, but I just wanted to say that forgetfulness affects so many women in their 50's and it rarely means dementia. I found it comforting to think of this when I was worried about my mother, I hope it maybe comforts you too.

• Forgetfulness can also be a symptom of menopause. My mother was worried about it too as it was happening to her but it seems to have gotten better as time has gone on. 

Actually that reminds me of something my mother told me: Years ago a woman my mother worked with suddenly burst into tears in front of her and said she was terrified she was getting alzheimers because she couldn't stop forgetting things like people's names and picking her child up from school etc. My mother comforted her as best she could and advised her to go to the doctor. A while later she told my mother she had been to the doctor and it turned out to be a symptom of menopause and it had improved when her GP prescribed HRT - she was so relieved!

Obviously I don't know your mother's situation and I can completely understand and relate to your worries about dementia as I worry a lot about these things too, but I just wanted to say that forgetfulness affects so many women in their 50's and it rarely means dementia. I found it comforting to think of this when I was worried about my mother, I hope it maybe comforts you too.

Children
No Data