Why medication doesn't help me

I've been seing psychiatrists and psychologists for 2 years now. Currently my diagnoses are adhd, generalized anxiety, depression, social phobia and maybe borderline personality disorder or bipolar disorder. Nothing ever feels right. I've taken so many different medications, ssris, benzodiazepines, antipsychotics, mood stabilizers, cns stimulants. I still feel like ***. Nothing has helped enough. Each time I see my psychiatrist my meds are changed, they always think it'll finally work and it never does.

Parents
  • How confident are you in their diagnoses?  Autistic people are often anxious (not always a generalised anxiety disorder - sometimes it's a "phobia" or otherwise situational), but the MH profession doesn't understand us very well and misdiagnoses are common place for us.  Obviously, meds for any conditions you may potentially not have aren't going to do you any good and could start to create problems.  Errr that's quite a cocktail you have there.  

It is also a possibility that our neurologies don't handle some psychiatric meds the same way others do and I'm not sure enough is understood about that.  

I'd start with the diagnoses and challenge them to explain why they've arrived at any of them you feel might not fit.  Personally, I wouldn't touch any of that stuff with a barge pole, but that's my personal view not a recommendation.  We must each do what feels right for us.  But what we can be confident of is the need to be comfortable with the diagnoses before expecting any meds to be the appropriate ones.  You need to feel what they are saying genuinely fits you and you are all singing from the same hymn sheet.

• How confident are you in their diagnoses?  Autistic people are often anxious (not always a generalised anxiety disorder - sometimes it's a "phobia" or otherwise situational), but the MH profession doesn't understand us very well and misdiagnoses are common place for us.  Obviously, meds for any conditions you may potentially not have aren't going to do you any good and could start to create problems.  Errr that's quite a cocktail you have there.  

It is also a possibility that our neurologies don't handle some psychiatric meds the same way others do and I'm not sure enough is understood about that.  

I'd start with the diagnoses and challenge them to explain why they've arrived at any of them you feel might not fit.  Personally, I wouldn't touch any of that stuff with a barge pole, but that's my personal view not a recommendation.  We must each do what feels right for us.  But what we can be confident of is the need to be comfortable with the diagnoses before expecting any meds to be the appropriate ones.  You need to feel what they are saying genuinely fits you and you are all singing from the same hymn sheet.

Children
No Data