Home grown fruit/veg suggestions please

So I have heard the reports that meat is high on the carbon footprint scale, although I believe chicken isn't sooo bad.

But I also received an email from an online 'heritage butcher' that I've used before. The owner is starting a campaign called 'Save our Season', to try and lobby for a seasonality tax. The idea being, we pay x for British Asparagus, and y (which is nigh on the same) for imported asparagus, when British isn't in season. I say asparagus... I do use lidls as well as waitrose... Laughing

But this got me thinking... his aim was it would promote reduced food miles, seasonal eating and quality/welfare. He also suggested that the commonly published footprints for various meats aren't what they appear... as they take into account the average food miles as well as cow farts...?

I'm not anticipating getting any livestock, but I am wondering how much of our veg I can grow myself?

Has anyone got some suggestions for useful things to grow? (That are legal!) I'm going to have another go at Trinidad Perfume Chilli's, and I've got a good stock of Red Bull sweet pepper seeds from the last couple of years. But trying to think of some more things to grow, in particular (but not limited to) those that tend to be imported (?)

I'm also tempted to have another go at growing mushrooms, but probably from a proper kit rather than grain spawn like I did last year...

Parents
  • Ooh great idea. Did you try it? My dad does home growing with fruit and veg and gets a lot of positive results. I think slugs and rabbits can be a problem so make sure you put up defences lol. I had a go at it to but it was too dirty for me and I can't be outside to long. But definitely give it a go!

• I've got a grapevine I'm trying to grow against my Dad's shed outside. But everything else I grow inside, so I've I've the warmth and can start mega early. I'm lucky in that my room is double aspect (windows two walls), so to the front, I've got perpetual spinach I just planted up (white buckets), and a colder plant propogator.

And to the rear I've got heat mats and lights on chillis and peppers.

It has taken 3 years/attempts to get my Trinidad Perfume chillis to germinate. This year I soaked the seeds for 24hrs in cold weak tea which seemed to help.

Gold pots are Trinidad Perfume chillis, and the red pots are Red Bull Sweet Peppers. I tend to do them indoors, and use old poinsettia pots I keep each Christmas. I've got 10 old pots now, that came free with the poinsettias. I just put an inch of pea gravel in the base to act as a water reservoir. Grinning

• I've got a grapevine I'm trying to grow against my Dad's shed outside. But everything else I grow inside, so I've I've the warmth and can start mega early. I'm lucky in that my room is double aspect (windows two walls), so to the front, I've got perpetual spinach I just planted up (white buckets), and a colder plant propogator.

And to the rear I've got heat mats and lights on chillis and peppers.

It has taken 3 years/attempts to get my Trinidad Perfume chillis to germinate. This year I soaked the seeds for 24hrs in cold weak tea which seemed to help.

Gold pots are Trinidad Perfume chillis, and the red pots are Red Bull Sweet Peppers. I tend to do them indoors, and use old poinsettia pots I keep each Christmas. I've got 10 old pots now, that came free with the poinsettias. I just put an inch of pea gravel in the base to act as a water reservoir. Grinning

Children
No Data