Home grown fruit/veg suggestions please

So I have heard the reports that meat is high on the carbon footprint scale, although I believe chicken isn't sooo bad.

But I also received an email from an online 'heritage butcher' that I've used before. The owner is starting a campaign called 'Save our Season', to try and lobby for a seasonality tax. The idea being, we pay x for British Asparagus, and y (which is nigh on the same) for imported asparagus, when British isn't in season. I say asparagus... I do use lidls as well as waitrose... Laughing

But this got me thinking... his aim was it would promote reduced food miles, seasonal eating and quality/welfare. He also suggested that the commonly published footprints for various meats aren't what they appear... as they take into account the average food miles as well as cow farts...?

I'm not anticipating getting any livestock, but I am wondering how much of our veg I can grow myself?

Has anyone got some suggestions for useful things to grow? (That are legal!) I'm going to have another go at Trinidad Perfume Chilli's, and I've got a good stock of Red Bull sweet pepper seeds from the last couple of years. But trying to think of some more things to grow, in particular (but not limited to) those that tend to be imported (?)

I'm also tempted to have another go at growing mushrooms, but probably from a proper kit rather than grain spawn like I did last year...

• I've got a grapevine I'm trying to grow against my Dad's shed outside. But everything else I grow inside, so I've I've the warmth and can start mega early. I'm lucky in that my room is double aspect (windows two walls), so to the front, I've got perpetual spinach I just planted up (white buckets), and a colder plant propogator.

And to the rear I've got heat mats and lights on chillis and peppers.

It has taken 3 years/attempts to get my Trinidad Perfume chillis to germinate. This year I soaked the seeds for 24hrs in cold weak tea which seemed to help.

Gold pots are Trinidad Perfume chillis, and the red pots are Red Bull Sweet Peppers. I tend to do them indoors, and use old poinsettia pots I keep each Christmas. I've got 10 old pots now, that came free with the poinsettias. I just put an inch of pea gravel in the base to act as a water reservoir. Grinning

• I found this helpful explaining the 4 different Vegetable types: crucifers, legumes, solanaceous, and cucurbits. This was incredibly useful as I was trying to find the botany to group together what I cannot digest, so discovered 2 of these & everything in them is safe! https://www.missouribotanicalgarden.org/Portals/0/Gardening/Gardening%20Help/Factsheets/Vegetable%20Families69.pdf

Also I've found some great sites which explain what veg and fruit will blossom together and which ones need separate spaces. I didn't bookmark them, but it's worth a google. 

• Ooh great idea. Did you try it? My dad does home growing with fruit and veg and gets a lot of positive results. I think slugs and rabbits can be a problem so make sure you put up defences lol. I had a go at it to but it was too dirty for me and I can't be outside to long. But definitely give it a go!

• Been away from forum for a bit, as was getting a tad addicted. In the meantime have thrown myself into my veg growing. I've had two propagators on the go, have lost many many many tomatoes and cucamelons. Think too hot. But my peppers and chillis have done well, I've managed to germinate my Trinidad Perfume chillis for the first time in 3 years of attempts...

So much so, I've now started transferring to the pots they will spend the rest of the year in. And covering with bottles with the tops cut off... :-)

I use 12w LED lamps to extend daylight hours at the moment. I've also been saving tea grounds for a couple of weeks. Which along with 1/4 perlite, has been mixed in with compost. Fingers crossed 

• Totally buggered my tomatoes... looking back it said: sow on top of soil and cover with 1.5mm soil... I put them in holes I dibbered 5mm to 1cm... so they're most like dead from the start. Been 11days now. I'll leave them another 4 days and if nothing have another pack I can sow properly.

The cucamelons and peppers are fine at the depth. Have had one of my red bull sweet pepper seeds through:

• Mum pointed out some mushrooms growing out of a retaining wall on our patio this afternoon. Pics below. Was a shock... a. I hadn't noticed them. B. We've never had before... quick ID and I've discovered they are Jelly Ear's. Edible, but pretty bland to western tastes. More popular in China.

• I used to grow potatoes, carrots, beans and tomatoes. But stopped a few years ago. When I'm back home with my parents I might try it again.

• Sprouting beans, as in micrograms sprouting? I've done sunflower sprouts. Boxes of them. You can actually use sunflower seeds for birds, but neighbours weren't impressed when I told them i had used sunflower seeds for birds in the pesto I had made with the sprouts and wild garlic... I had given them a jar as ended up with loads. 

• I have had success in the past with runner beans. Radishes are quick to grow and also salad leaves like rocket which I have grown indoors. Tried cabbages outside but caterpillars ate them.

Have grown sprouting beans indoors too.

• Ended up back at garden centre.

Had already panted up 40/48 cells...

14x Trinidad Perfume Peppers

18x Red Bull Sweet Peppers

8x Veranda Red Dwarf Tomatoes

So had 8 spare cells...

Trip to garden centre early this morning to get some more Veranda Red seeds. Lovely and quiet, but when I went to pick up the tomato seeds, I then got distracted by a pack of cucamelon seeds as above. So ended up with both and just planted 8 cucamelon seeds...

Noticed I've now got one shoot through, one of the Veranda red dwarf tomatoes. I've got each row, or for mixed rows each cell, marked with the plant. I think that fairly quick, so I put it down to heat mat. Now contemplating a second mat so I can get a third propagator on the go, despite not having room for all these plants... I have prepared a bunch of mates to have them forced on them!

• Having said that, may have planted far more seeds than my window sill can handle anyway!

• Got a dwarf variety thinking they'd fit window sill better... didn't know the contents were small too!! F#ckers. T&M not you guys lol

• Those bloody tomato seeds cost £3.49

Why didn't you get a tomato, cut it open and plant those seeds, hell, get two tomatoes and do it. 

• Those bloody tomato seeds cost £3.49!! I've nearly finished filling the first two propagator trays, the compost pellets are in, the Trinidad Perfume Chilli's and Dolce Italiano/Red Bull pepper seeds are in... came to the tomatoes... £3.49 for 8 ruddy seeds!! *#&$,€$$&,#÷*$&÷;,

• testes

The first thing I saw was a handful of planets.

• At least I won't have that issue with my cucamelons...

• erotic.

don't grow a turnip because some of those can look quite phallic, and we don't want to terrify the clergy (laughs maniacally).

• I'm limited to window sill areas this year. We've got a garden, but as you say, it's the heat... I made the mistake of introducing my pepper to garden far too early last year! Almost destroyed...

I have found a seedling heat mat does wonders! It raises +10c on ambient temp, and runs about 10-20watts/hr, depending on size of the mat.

They can be £20+ but I've had mine for 3 years and, although I haven't plugged it in this year, is still working. :-)