Anxiety and obsessions

I go through a lot of intense anxiety, as well as depression, and generally I'll be worrying to death about things I know I don't need to worry about it, or which I should put aside for now and deal with later. People have always told me I should be able to do this - choose to worry about something later, or dismiss worries from my mind - but this seems utterly impossible to me. 

Is this part of the obsessive way an autistic mind works? I know I obsess over mundane things too which don't cause me anxiety but which I feel compelled to do, and also I get pleasure from obsessing over certain interests. Do we just have to accept this worry as part of the obsessiveness?

Parents
  • I also wonder,and can kind of see after something which happened today, that my perseveration or anxiety or rumination etc can also stem from trying to work things out which others can do more intuitively. So again, it feeds into uncertainty but I think the root cause could be to do with AS and not fully understanding a situation.

• I identify with this. I feel like I'm conspicuously slow thinking, but at the same time I'm intelligent enough to enjoy literature and art and other pursuits I'm sure people who are sharper than me don't seem to care about.

• Yes. I still think about things from a few years ago cos still have no idea what was meant. Of course, non AS people ruminate on things but I think by now they would have let this one pass.

Someone flirted with me at work once and it took about 5 years for me to realise. When Ive since recounted the story to others, theyve all pulled a disgusted face. It didn't even register with me at the time that it was a) obvious flirting and b) maybe a bit creepy.

I think intelligence is different to social "intuition" and they're not mutually exclusive.

• Nutt's views on alcohol and drugs got him sacked as the government's drug advisor!

Yes I read that about him. Good to know he's not afraid to speak the truth even if it hinders his career.

I think psyche has come back over the last five years or so, albeit in an underground/alternative way. Certainly my band has been influenced by it. I remember seeing the band Menace Beach around 2014 which was the first signs I came across of its re- emergence.

We're not so much garage as more lo-fi, and not really at all heavy. We weren't around long enough to do much before the pandemic and even though we have a few songs out there we hadn't really hit on a sound until more recently. Still exploring it but we're a bit closer I think. I'll send you our upcoming single in a DM, I'm a bit happier with that than anything else. Still also happy to receive criticism though, I always like to push myself. Good to meet someone on here with a similar taste in music. 

EDIT - Don't think there is a private message function on here... I'll share the video when it comes out hopefully within a month or so.

• Nutt's views on alcohol and drugs got him sacked as the government's drug advisor!

Yes I read that about him. Good to know he's not afraid to speak the truth even if it hinders his career.

I think psyche has come back over the last five years or so, albeit in an underground/alternative way. Certainly my band has been influenced by it. I remember seeing the band Menace Beach around 2014 which was the first signs I came across of its re- emergence.

We're not so much garage as more lo-fi, and not really at all heavy. We weren't around long enough to do much before the pandemic and even though we have a few songs out there we hadn't really hit on a sound until more recently. Still exploring it but we're a bit closer I think. I'll send you our upcoming single in a DM, I'm a bit happier with that than anything else. Still also happy to receive criticism though, I always like to push myself. Good to meet someone on here with a similar taste in music. 

EDIT - Don't think there is a private message function on here... I'll share the video when it comes out hopefully within a month or so.

Children
No Data