Depression?

I’ve got some questions, maybe someone’s got the answers.

I’ve tried to improve my mood. First by taking st.john’s wort and when it didn’t work I tried 5-htp. It didn’t work. Maybe the dose was too low, maybe I should double/triple it. 

I have generally low mood (but some days better, some days worse) and I have an anxiety. Anxiety is ruining my life.

It’s not a new issue and I’ve tried CBT and counselling which didn’t help. 

NHS CBT was completely useless.

Recently I’ve talked to someone about suicide and they said that it would be worth if I talk to GP and take some medication. 

But I’m not sure. 

I’m not at imminent risk. I know I might kill myself in the future but I’m not going to do it yet. It’s just an option if the life is too much. 

I’ve chosen the method and the thought is comforting. 

The thought that I’ve got the way out and that I’m prepared.

But I’m not going to kill myself yet. 

I have small children and I’m not going to cause trauma to my children. They are not ready to deal with that.

I’ve been having recurring suicidal thoughts for years.

I’ve never mentioned them in therapy because I didn’t want to make a big deal out of it and I was afraid how they might react.

And now to my questions.

Should I go to GP? 

Will they tell anyone? 

Are they going to make a big deal out of it? 

Or maybe ignore me? 

Maybe it’s not worth mentioning at all? 

Will I be sent to CBT again? 

Offered medication? 

Can I choose medication or therapy? 

What about side effects of medication?

I’m worried about side effects.

Parents
  • I tackle my depression by:

• Listening to music that I like, CDs, DVDs, watching music documentaries on TV, watched the Fleetwood Mac triple documentary on BBC 4 yesterday.
    • Looking at my photograph collection of places I enjoyed visiting.
    • Going on long walks, mostly through woodlands, near lakes.
    • Eating food I really like.  Even if it's unhealthy.

I avoid medication.  I was once addicted to paracetamol and was taking five or six every day.

I've never tried CBT of any kind.

I only visit doctors, or hospitals as a last resort.

Even with all this I'm still in a bad state.  A couple of years ago I saw a leaflet in my GPs waiting room which offered help with depression, stress, mental health etc.  It gave a website to visit, which asked me to fill out a long questionnaire about my current state of mind.  I completed this questionnaire as honestly as possible and waited to see what kind of help this organisation would offer me...   The response from the website was that my problems were far more severe than what they were able to help with.  And advised me to urgently contact my GP and ask for professional help.

• I tried to get help for my depression from these people.

After completing their questionnaire they told me that my mental state was beyond the help that they had available.

• I had IAPT therapies. One to one and group one and then one to one again. And again. With different person. Each time after few sessions they said “I can’t help you but maybe my colleague can”. But they couldn’t. And then they’ve gave up on me so I’ve gave up on them.

• The best lesson I ever got about my own mental issues, which I learned during the "Prozac Incident"  was they are MY mental issues and I either need to learn to use them or lose them. Other people may be able to help occasionally, but only I (or God) can remove those issues.

In my case, I have specifically asked for and then seemingly received help from God after several decades of struggling with these issues. I am a man who had found that even my little amount of faith has been rewarded. For me the experience has been as if the simple act of studying Christian principles, improves your life.

It seems unfair to keep this experience to myself, no matter if some people might accuse me of bible bashing or god bothering both of which are held to be very unpopular these days.

All my problems have not magically vanished, but they did become much more manageable as I learned how it really works, rather than what some comedian on the telly or half baked vicar in my youth were selling me. Christianity like any good "culture/system" trains you to cope with adversity and avoid many pitfalls for the unwary in practical ways whilst reminding us that all the really good things come from god.

I am very uncomfortable with my own beliefs, to be honest, and entirely unsure that I really have the right end of the stick theologically (or sometimes even morally) speaking, and freely admit I have no proof just strong indications for the existence of God. One thing I am sure of though, I am NOT the supreme form of life in this universe, and most likely way too unintelligent to ever understand how it really works, but I am very grateful he provided the example of Jesus Christ to follow..

"Depression" is fixed only by increasing your baselines of happiness and more importantly contentment..

Figuring out what actually makes you happy whilst subjected to a blizzard of mind control /advertising people showing you 24/7 everywhere you look what they say will make you happy is not easy, and has taken me decades...  

Take it from me, I've been there, and got myself out before they tried ECT...

• The best lesson I ever got about my own mental issues, which I learned during the "Prozac Incident"  was they are MY mental issues and I either need to learn to use them or lose them. Other people may be able to help occasionally, but only I (or God) can remove those issues.

In my case, I have specifically asked for and then seemingly received help from God after several decades of struggling with these issues. I am a man who had found that even my little amount of faith has been rewarded. For me the experience has been as if the simple act of studying Christian principles, improves your life.

It seems unfair to keep this experience to myself, no matter if some people might accuse me of bible bashing or god bothering both of which are held to be very unpopular these days.

All my problems have not magically vanished, but they did become much more manageable as I learned how it really works, rather than what some comedian on the telly or half baked vicar in my youth were selling me. Christianity like any good "culture/system" trains you to cope with adversity and avoid many pitfalls for the unwary in practical ways whilst reminding us that all the really good things come from god.

I am very uncomfortable with my own beliefs, to be honest, and entirely unsure that I really have the right end of the stick theologically (or sometimes even morally) speaking, and freely admit I have no proof just strong indications for the existence of God. One thing I am sure of though, I am NOT the supreme form of life in this universe, and most likely way too unintelligent to ever understand how it really works, but I am very grateful he provided the example of Jesus Christ to follow..

"Depression" is fixed only by increasing your baselines of happiness and more importantly contentment..

Figuring out what actually makes you happy whilst subjected to a blizzard of mind control /advertising people showing you 24/7 everywhere you look what they say will make you happy is not easy, and has taken me decades...  

Take it from me, I've been there, and got myself out before they tried ECT...

Children
No Data