Procedure for self referral

I live in Essex and have found a place where you can refer yourself for a diagnosis for autism and aspergers. What are anyone else's experiences of self referral? what was the procedure and how long did it take? Where there any costs involved? Im 51 and have just been inspired to try this having watched the Chris Packham documentary. I have been unemployed for about 25 years and now the only job I have found is dishwashing although I have got a degree and am musical and artistic . 

Parents Reply Children
  • I contacted a local ADHD centre who explained the whole process and total cost, the cost given was £1:500.

private diagnosis may not be recognised by the various bodies that might be needed in later life.

The NHS is the one they look for.

There are huge variations to this, nothing seems to be set in stone.

An NHS route can be easy or completely impossible,depending on local funds, there particular focus at the time ie mental health, ability of your GP to know about ASD and even the psychiatrist, they may have no clue as to the intricacies of Autism.

I wish you luck. I am about to start my long journey or maybe” no way not a chance haven’t got funding” route.

For me it would give personal validation.