Hello, I am new to this diagnosis

Hello everyone.

I have only known that I have ASD for a number of weeks. I have always known that I did not fit in anywhere or understand social conventions but it was weeks ago that my girlfriend suggested that I might have ASD, I have researched it and I agree with her, and now everything in my life makes sense. Even so, I am having difficulty accepting the diagnosis. 

I would like to "meet" some other people who are like me, as I have always felt strange/odd/not normal and like I cannot relate to other people. Their behaviors are confusing. I guess I what I would like is confirmation that my areas of difficulty are because of ASD.

Also, I am quite sure that my 2 year old nephew has ASD and I would like to help him as much as possible. 

I struggle with life in general as I am so disorganized. I have recently created a routine for myself, because if I do not have a routine, things will not get done. It is very frustrating because my memory is so poor. I cannot relay a telephone message to someone immediately after I have been told it.

I rely heavily on my girlfriend for emotional support and for help with daily life. 

At some point i'd like to list all of the things that I have difficulty with or behaviors that are "not normal". I don't really know where to start regarding talking to people on this forum. But hey, that's social skills again isn't it, lol. 

Parents
  • Hi Kelly,

Welcome to the Community!

There's lots of information on the NAS website about ASD which you may find useful both for yourself and for supporting your nephew. 

You might also like to consider looking for a support group in your area - you can search using the Autism Services Directory for a group local to you: http://www.autism.org.uk/directory.aspx.

I hope that is of some help.

Regards,

Kerri-Mod

• Hi Kelly,

Welcome to the Community!

There's lots of information on the NAS website about ASD which you may find useful both for yourself and for supporting your nephew. 

You might also like to consider looking for a support group in your area - you can search using the Autism Services Directory for a group local to you: http://www.autism.org.uk/directory.aspx.

I hope that is of some help.

Regards,

Kerri-Mod

Children
No Data