Completely devastated

Hi I'm Jess and I'm 16. A few months ago I found out I have ASD, aspergers. It makes sense because I've always been worried about social things and preferred to be on my own and got very stressed over social rules. I was advised to slowly when I was ready to start to tell people. So I did. And my close friend took it well, and said she was there for me. But then she made me feel completely isolated and told me I kept harassing her and stalking her( I really didn't I didn't contact her at all out of school) and she laughed and me being autistic and called me an autistic mess and that I was a stalker. And I am devastate and don't know what to think. I don't think I can forgive her, is it ok not to forgive? And now I'm worried about what it will be like when we are in school and I can't enjoy my summer because I'm worried about who I will sit with for lunch. I know it sounds silly but this is a huge deal for me x

Parents
  • Hi Jess.

Bullying is not right no matter how old you are, and at school it can be even harder. As an adult looking back at my experiences I found that volunteering for things brought me better relationships with the right people, and also helped me progress in my career. When I was 17 I spent my summer in the library hearing younger children read in their annual summer reading challenge. It was hugely rewarding, and I met some great people who were similar to me (even though it took another 16 years before I eventually got my diagnosis). It gave me confidence and also a great sense of self worth that I thought I had lost forever at that time. Years later I still gravitate towards libraries as places I feel safe and at home in, and all my local library staff stop me and chat in town when I bump into them.

The added bonus is easy access to all sorts of books on ASD, free of charge, and a place to read them with headphones on and music playing where you can let the world go by.

Take care and know there are always people to talk too, even if they are not always easy to find at times!

• Hi Jess.

Bullying is not right no matter how old you are, and at school it can be even harder. As an adult looking back at my experiences I found that volunteering for things brought me better relationships with the right people, and also helped me progress in my career. When I was 17 I spent my summer in the library hearing younger children read in their annual summer reading challenge. It was hugely rewarding, and I met some great people who were similar to me (even though it took another 16 years before I eventually got my diagnosis). It gave me confidence and also a great sense of self worth that I thought I had lost forever at that time. Years later I still gravitate towards libraries as places I feel safe and at home in, and all my local library staff stop me and chat in town when I bump into them.

The added bonus is easy access to all sorts of books on ASD, free of charge, and a place to read them with headphones on and music playing where you can let the world go by.

Take care and know there are always people to talk too, even if they are not always easy to find at times!

Children
No Data