Just wanted to say hi.

Hi to all you lovely people, I think I am going to feel at home in this forum as I can relate to a lot of what is discussed.

I have not been assessed or diagnosed with autism but recently had an enlightenment.

I am male and fifty four years old. I read an account of a lady who was diagnosed at fourty plus years old. Pretty much her life was much like mine. I was overcome with emotion as I read her struggles. First happiness then anger then a feeling of loss? Basically I cried my eyes out and blubber like a child. My mind was desperately trying to come to terms with the realisation of why I had struggled all my life to just co exhist in this world. I do not intend being formerly diagnosed. It has changed my life in that I find myself being more me. Instead of constantly adapting to fit any given situation. Honestly I don't really know who the real me is?

so that's me in a nutshell.

Parents
  • Thank you for the welcome,I have been reading lots of different experiences since being on here, it amazes me how much I can understand the situation being discussed. Where have you all been all my life, as I said if it were not for my daughter posting the ladies account of her late diagnosis I would never have known. As time goes on and I try to explain to my work mates and family who I am and why I act the way I do I get two main responses, some say "you can't be autistic as you wouldn't be able to talk" or "oh that means you cannot interact with anyone" what utter nonesence, I make a point of educating them of the many varied Levels and abilities each autistic individual could have. After explaining the common behavioural patterns the pennie drops and they then say well that certainly fits you. My wife bless her has reached a point of exhaustion as I seem to go on and on and on about it! She is right of coarse but that's me all over, I become obsessed with understanding anything that interests me, no matter what it may be, it came to a head when trying to explain empathy to her and the way it works, like a fool I called her a neurotypical,I wasn't trying to upset her but she felt strongly about it citing we are all different! Kind of missed my point about minority groups as opposed to fitting into the broad spectrum of normality As society see it.

all is well now mainly as I had a melt down and said "right forget it I won't mention it ever again.

my understanding from my own perspective is I want to help anyone who needs it and get very upset at seeing any form of suffering. 

• Thank you for the welcome,I have been reading lots of different experiences since being on here, it amazes me how much I can understand the situation being discussed. Where have you all been all my life, as I said if it were not for my daughter posting the ladies account of her late diagnosis I would never have known. As time goes on and I try to explain to my work mates and family who I am and why I act the way I do I get two main responses, some say "you can't be autistic as you wouldn't be able to talk" or "oh that means you cannot interact with anyone" what utter nonesence, I make a point of educating them of the many varied Levels and abilities each autistic individual could have. After explaining the common behavioural patterns the pennie drops and they then say well that certainly fits you. My wife bless her has reached a point of exhaustion as I seem to go on and on and on about it! She is right of coarse but that's me all over, I become obsessed with understanding anything that interests me, no matter what it may be, it came to a head when trying to explain empathy to her and the way it works, like a fool I called her a neurotypical,I wasn't trying to upset her but she felt strongly about it citing we are all different! Kind of missed my point about minority groups as opposed to fitting into the broad spectrum of normality As society see it.

all is well now mainly as I had a melt down and said "right forget it I won't mention it ever again.

my understanding from my own perspective is I want to help anyone who needs it and get very upset at seeing any form of suffering. 

Children
No Data