Just wanted to say hi.

Hi to all you lovely people, I think I am going to feel at home in this forum as I can relate to a lot of what is discussed.

I have not been assessed or diagnosed with autism but recently had an enlightenment.

I am male and fifty four years old. I read an account of a lady who was diagnosed at fourty plus years old. Pretty much her life was much like mine. I was overcome with emotion as I read her struggles. First happiness then anger then a feeling of loss? Basically I cried my eyes out and blubber like a child. My mind was desperately trying to come to terms with the realisation of why I had struggled all my life to just co exhist in this world. I do not intend being formerly diagnosed. It has changed my life in that I find myself being more me. Instead of constantly adapting to fit any given situation. Honestly I don't really know who the real me is?

so that's me in a nutshell.

Parents
  • Hi Lonewarrior,

I have been referred, assessed and diahnosed and all that, but I can very much relate to the enlightenment factor you write about.

An Aspergian friend told me I should get diagnosed in 2007, and gave me book to read in order to further make the point. It was about a man, diagnosed young unlike myself, and was about his journey going through university and getting seriously high qualifications in mathematics. Firstly I do not do mathematics as I have no talent there at all. Secondly, he had all the support he needed in situations that I had no support in but needed, and aside from those minor differrences we were so very much alike in our tastes and habits it was astounding, really astounding. I was really excited about it.

So I spoke to my psychologist about this, who basically ignored me and did that behavioural 'oh no not another one wanting to be something that ther're not" sort of thing, and that was that. I talked to my next psyhologist about it, who said it was really interesting but was only actually interested in doing the session without considering it. So several months after that ended, I mentioned it again to my GP who said, "Oh my god - why did we not spot this before!" I was tempted to ask him about that, but I was getting referred and a couple of years later was diagnosed.

Before the diagnosis itself, I had decided that my original diagnosis could well be the case, and the diagnosis of Asperger's Syndrome might also or not be the case. I was completely neutral about it. Then the diagnosis happened and that was a major category one revelation in itself - my whole world perspective changed massively. So I just withdrew from the world very much indeed and adjusted to it all according to my individual needs. About a year later I went and brought a book by an Aspergian American man - and had a major laughing and serious crying experience and everything in between; very much seemingly as you describe.

As far as the 'real-you' thing goes, one wisdom head said, "You are other than you pretend to be." Following this theme on a bit - Charles Dickens wrote (in his book, A Tale of Two Cities) A wonderful fact to rely upon, that every human creature is constituted to be that profound secret and mystery to every other. If that helps any?

• Hi Lonewarrior,

I have been referred, assessed and diahnosed and all that, but I can very much relate to the enlightenment factor you write about.

An Aspergian friend told me I should get diagnosed in 2007, and gave me book to read in order to further make the point. It was about a man, diagnosed young unlike myself, and was about his journey going through university and getting seriously high qualifications in mathematics. Firstly I do not do mathematics as I have no talent there at all. Secondly, he had all the support he needed in situations that I had no support in but needed, and aside from those minor differrences we were so very much alike in our tastes and habits it was astounding, really astounding. I was really excited about it.

So I spoke to my psychologist about this, who basically ignored me and did that behavioural 'oh no not another one wanting to be something that ther're not" sort of thing, and that was that. I talked to my next psyhologist about it, who said it was really interesting but was only actually interested in doing the session without considering it. So several months after that ended, I mentioned it again to my GP who said, "Oh my god - why did we not spot this before!" I was tempted to ask him about that, but I was getting referred and a couple of years later was diagnosed.

Before the diagnosis itself, I had decided that my original diagnosis could well be the case, and the diagnosis of Asperger's Syndrome might also or not be the case. I was completely neutral about it. Then the diagnosis happened and that was a major category one revelation in itself - my whole world perspective changed massively. So I just withdrew from the world very much indeed and adjusted to it all according to my individual needs. About a year later I went and brought a book by an Aspergian American man - and had a major laughing and serious crying experience and everything in between; very much seemingly as you describe.

As far as the 'real-you' thing goes, one wisdom head said, "You are other than you pretend to be." Following this theme on a bit - Charles Dickens wrote (in his book, A Tale of Two Cities) A wonderful fact to rely upon, that every human creature is constituted to be that profound secret and mystery to every other. If that helps any?

Children
No Data